Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Fitted a few things...

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work, i'm tempted to do something like this in the near future.
@callam3n - i've still got a motor and panel with switch for the electric sunroof knocking around.

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
Cullam3n
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Acidburn wrote:
Nice work, i'm tempted to do something like this in the near future.
@callam3n - i've still got a motor and panel with switch for the electric sunroof knocking around.

I would accept but he says

Quote:
All the parts need to come from an B4 Audi 80 saloon as otherwise they will either not fit of they will be the wrong colour.

1992 - B4 80 - 2.8L V6 12v - Quattro - Saloon - 220,000+ mi
AOC::: 1337

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm will have to have a look at them, I think they are from the later one, bought from our happy friend Audibits.

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have just checked and a motor from a B3 saloon will also fit, don't know if that helps. I'm not too sure about the cover, it would at least be the wrong colour even if it did fit.

You need to avoid parts from a coupe or avant as they will certainly not work.

90 Rover Mini Flame Red, Turbocharged
69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
James
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely brilliant - well done! Applause

I'd be massively interested in parts/wiring needed in order to retrofit the following:

On board computer
Ambient temperature gauge
Autocheck
Headlamp washers
Cruise control
Rear electric windows
Aux gauges

I'm swapping the interiors of my two cars shortly which will mean taking out the dash anyway. This would obviously be a very good time to do this kind of thing!

Where did you get the wiring diagrams from? I'll also echo an earlier comment: any chance of a full write-up of how you did it all? I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest out there...

Cheers,
James Cool

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

On board computer - Very easy to fit, just need the stalk, 2 plugs and some repair wire sections unless you can find a loom. I can get the part numbers for you if you want

Temperature gauge - For it's size this involved a lot of wiring, you need switched live, earth, vehicle speed signal, dash illumination and temperature signal. You also have to run a wire to under the left headlight for the temperature sender. It wasn't difficult to fit just took some time to find all the wires.

Autocheck - I think it would take too long to write all that is involved but have a look at the wiring diagrams here http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/schematics/autocheck_jul94/autocheck_jul_94.htm
If you have all the interior out anyway it wouldn't be too difficult, you will need to make your own looms and adapt the wiring to the minicheck (I have a table with some useful information for this if you want). the parts you need are:
Autocheck module
headlamp monitor with plug
Washer bottle pump with level sender
26 pin plug for autocheck module
buzzer
rear bulb monitor

Headlamp washer - these are easy as the plug for them is already under the dash, you just need to run a wire from that to the front bumper. you will also need the relay for them.

Cruise control - I got the loom, ecu and pump from an audi 100 but the loom had to be adapted quite a bit. I can give you the part numbers for the bits you need to adapt the loom if you can't find an Audi 80 one. the parts you need are:
Wiring loom
Vacuum pipe loom
2 relief valves
pump with bracket
actuator
actuator rod and guide
stalk

Aux gauges - I found these would be easy to fit if you didn't want to keep all the wiring as it would have been from the factory but as I did I had to run a couple of wires from the fusebox. The wires from the senders are already there, I can't remember exactly what other wires you need to install but I can find out. You will need the oil pressure sender but the temperature one is already in place you will also need both sections of the centre console.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've got the concentration span of a noob!

I've saved this thread to re-look soon. Good bits good so far!

don't worry about thread lengths- we hit nearly 20 pages before Very Happy

All good stuff Very Happy

Eventually a news/ thread for the home page?

James
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can you fit the onboard computer to an ordinary dash, or do you have to get a new one? Also, do you have to fit the Autocheck when fitting the onboard computer module, or will things work OK without it?

Cheers!
James Cool

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You just replace the centre part of the dash, you keep the speedo etc. You can get an on board computer with minicheck or autocheck. On board computers with autocheck are not easy to find for the V6. On board computers with minicheck are more common and there is a jumper in them so you can change them to suite any model. I would only fit an autocheck one if you want to fit the rest of the autocheck stuff, I can't see the point otherwise.

I will reply to your pm but I'm a bit busy at the moment and it will take me a while to get all the information together for you.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
James
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A80QAAH wrote:
You just replace the centre part of the dash, you keep the speedo etc. You can get an on board computer with minicheck or autocheck. On board computers with autocheck are not easy to find for the V6. On board computers with minicheck are more common and there is a jumper in them so you can change them to suite any model. I would only fit an autocheck one if you want to fit the rest of the autocheck stuff, I can't see the point otherwise.

I will reply to your pm but I'm a bit busy at the moment and it will take me a while to get all the information together for you.

Thanks - no worries about the pm, I'm busy too at the mo. so I'm not in a hurry on it!

Actually it's quite a relief that I'll only have to do the minicheck version. Presumably this is a little easier to wire in, also?

James Cool

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is almost no new wiring needed for the computer as most of the connections are made by the existing pins on the back of the instrument cluster. You just have to extend the fuel consumption signal wire and fit 4 wires from the computer to the stalk.

If you want to fully fit autocheck like I have it will involve quite a bit of work, it must have taken me 10 hours to fit and you have to get all the parts and work out how it all goes together before you can even start. I fitted it because I liked the idea of knowing when bulbs have gone and the dot matrix display looks nicer than the warning lights.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
jontawn
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

dear A80QAAH,

i've seen this: http://tinyurl.com/yoxc97 and have thought it would be fitted to my b4 2.6.

so along with the stalk & consumables, i dont suppose you know of, or could point me in the right direction of a diagram/how2/instruction/photo/etc of what wiring goes where? i'm more than happy to do any soldering etc, just new to audi's and could do with a bit of guiding on this one

regards
Jonathan

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is just a standard minicheck unit that all B4s would be fitted with as standard. The only reason you would need to modify the wiring is if you have autocheck and you want to downgrade to minicheck but I can't imagine that being the case. Are you sure it isn't the on-board computer (which gives you your fuel economy etc) or autocheck (tells you if bulbs have blown or washer fluid low etc) you are looking to fit? If you really do want a minicheck unit I might have one you can have for free, as far as I'm aware they are quite worthless and in plentiful supply.

Matt

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
jontawn
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi there,

my b4 avant doesnt have it i dont think? its not on the drive at the moment so i cant check?!

what does this 'minicheck' system do then?

cheers,
Jonathan

S2_Wait-for-me
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mfa computer for mpg etc is easy ti fit as its a unit that plugs in and under the pedals is a yellow plug thats it,that then plugs into the dials.

audi a2 1.4 52.130miles(cheryls and her stepdads)
http://www.audiclub.co.uk/join.txt
SEARCH AND THOU SHALL FIND 
audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S2_Wait-for-me wrote:
mfa computer for mpg etc is easy ti fit as its a unit that plugs in and under the pedals is a yellow plug thats it,that then plugs into the dials.

can you do an article for Owen (not here) on how to do it, step by step? (I'd be interested)

Cheers!

S2_Wait-for-me
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok will do

audi a2 1.4 52.130miles(cheryls and her stepdads)
http://www.audiclub.co.uk/join.txt
SEARCH AND THOU SHALL FIND 
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Minicheck is just 3 warning lights for oil pressure, brake fluid level/hydraulic pressure and coolant temperature/level.

I think http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9762 should cover fitting a trip computer. You need to be aware that you can get a trip computer with autocheck or minicheck. I would advise that you stick to whatever you already have as fitting autocheck to a minicheck car is a lot of work and doing the opposite is pointless. There is also a really useful PDF on fitting a trip computer with minicheck, it is all in German but has really good pictures, I will see if I can find a link.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
jas11n
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How come I've totally missed this thread Confused Shocked
I see "everything" on fans Shock

A lot of nice work gone into that. Nice.

Jas..
Cool

1995 S2 Coupe - sold
1995 A6 Avant TDi - sold
1993 80 TDi - sold
1990 90 2.3 auto - scrapped
1989 Coupe 2.3e - sold
1990 cq20v - sold
1990 80 2.8 quattro - sold 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jontawn
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi there,

my v6 avant doesnt appear to have minicheck!!?? funny as its fairly high-ish spec?

A80QAAH i know your busy so please dont feel obligated/pressured, however i'd be very interested in covering any costs associated with sending over that minicheck unit + beer money for you if you would wish to send it on? i'd also be well interested in the german pdf you have on fitting the computer!

cheers and thanks in advance,
Jonathan

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really confused now as to what your car could have if it doesn't have minicheck other than an empty gap in the dash, minicheck is the most basic thing fitted to the B4 and would have to be fitted by law for the brake fluid warning. To try and understand what you have here are the options

Minicheck: 3 warning lights as I described in my previous post, it has a single display and a grille for the speaker for audible warnings

Minicheck with trip computer: Same 3 warning lights as before but has an LCD display which gives mpg and tank range etc. The speaker is still present but hidden from view. It has a 14 pin socket on the back. The top 2 units in the picture below show what this looks like.

Autocheck: Single LCD dot matrix display, you can tell it apart from the minicheck unit as it has a smaller screen set at a slight angle and a 26 pin plug on the back, it does not a does not have a speaker grille as this function is moved to a waning buzzer in the aux relay carrier. It is shown in the bottom left of the picture below.

Autocheck with trip computer: Same as above but with trip computer function. Shown in the bottom right of the picture below and there is also a picture of this type of unit working in my first post of this topic.

Here is a link to the PDF for fitting minicheck with trip computer. http://www.meckisfaq.de/bilder/pdf/bc.pdf I would have thought this what you were looking to fit rather than just a minicheck unit. It took me 6 months to find one of these units and then I found 2 within a week. I only used it for a couple of days before deciding to fit autocheck so now I have 2 of them that I spent a lot of money on doing nothing.

It would be really helpful if you could find out what your car is fitted with now. I really do expect it to be minicheck like the unit you were looking to buy as that is what was fitted as standard to all B4 Audis, any of the other units a quite rare to come across.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
jontawn
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi there,

Rolling Eyes yes, i do have minicheck, i got my wires crossed after having the 90 with what i now know as autocheck, silly me.

apologies for any confusion ;o)

so, knowing i now have minicheck, and not needing just a regular minicheck unit, i'll keep my eyes open for a minicheck + computer, i'm not sure whether you would be interested in selling on your old one?

or is autocheck the preferred solution?

years ago, when i had a calibra, i fitted a fuel computer to that, but sent it off for programming to suit my engine, is it the same with these? could i use one off of say an S2?

cheers and again, thanks in advance.
Jonathan

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you get a minicheck unit with a trip computer it can be adapted to work in any car just by soldering on a jumper as shown in one of the pictures in that PDF. With autocheck you have to get the correct one for your engine if you want the oil pressure warnings to be correct.

It is quite possible to fit autocheck as I have shown, but it is a lot of work if you want all the functions to work. With the exception of the autocheck unit with trip computer the parts needed are quite cheap to buy from breakers. Even if you don't wire up all the functions of the autocheck (which would make fitting it pointless in my opinion) you still have to wire up the warning buzzer which is quite a lot of work as you have to change the routing of about 5 wires. If you want to wire up all the functions you will have to run 3 wires to the back of the car which would mean taking out quite a bit of the interior and then you have to change all the wiring for the rear lights. You also have to run a wire to the washer bottle and change the pump as well as changing the wiring for the headlamps. I am not saying it isn't possible, the wiring involved isn't all that difficult if you understand what you are doing although it is a bit fiddly and I would not like to have attempted it with the dash in place.

The trip computer is quite easy to wire up as shown by that PDF, I made my own loom up as I couldn't find the one I needed but if you do find one fitting it would be really very simple.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
jas11n
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A80QAAH wrote:
It took me 6 months to find one of these units and then I found 2 within a week. I only used it for a couple of days before deciding to fit autocheck so now I have 2 of them that I spent a lot of money on doing nothing.

Have you by chance still got one of those minicheck/comp units Matt?
If so, for sale?
I need one as the unit I have has full autocheck and I'm nowhere near good enough to mess around trying to install that little baby Embarassed

Jase..
Smile

1995 S2 Coupe - sold
1995 A6 Avant TDi - sold
1993 80 TDi - sold
1989 Coupe 2.3e - sold
1990 cq20v - sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do still have one left, it's a a V6 BC with minicheck but you just have to solder on a jumper to use it on a diesel. I was going to keep it as a spare but as I've sold the car i'm willing to sell it. I'm not quite sure how much to ask so make me an offer.

Matt

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice. Looks decidedly scarey with the fascia stripped out.

If I'd wired it - the wipers would come on when I switched on the lights! Laughing

2010 Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI (105) Elegance, 31k
2001 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, 162k
2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k
1995 Audi 80 TDI SE Avant, 175k, sold Sad 
nogin
Account deactivated by user request

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very informative Matt, especially on the auto check system Cool

jas11n
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

A80QAAH wrote:
I do still have one left, it's a a V6 BC with minicheck but you just have to solder on a jumper to use it on a diesel. I was going to keep it as a spare but as I've sold the car i'm willing to sell it. I'm not quite sure how much to ask so make me an offer.

Matt

Thanks very much Matt, I've PM'ed you.

From what I can make out of the PDF, the diesel version requires all the jumpers to be removed. That sound right to you mate? I've ripped a copy of the picture from the PDF.

1995 S2 Coupe - sold
1995 A6 Avant TDi - sold
1993 80 TDi - sold
1989 Coupe 2.3e - sold
1990 cq20v - sold
A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Edited in an attempt to restore pictures, didn't mean to reply!

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 

View next topic
View previous topic