Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A4 B5 Centre display (DIS) replacement.

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A4 B5 Centre display (DIS) replacement.

For years I've been annoyed by the centre DIS display with "missing lines" Evil or Very Mad
I've looked at the repair services on Ebay, but they all require you to send it to them and after repair they send it back which takes at least a couple of days. I need my car everyday so not an option for me. With (Chinese) replacement displays now going for 35 pounds, I thought of having a go at replacing it myself - done today and it works Very Happy

Here is the write up on how to do it & some pictures. I've seen this covered on other forums but can't find the links at the moment. Anyway, no harm in another write-up.

1) Take the cluster out of the car - this is not difficult but a bit fiddly. Remove surround above the steering wheel, undo 2 screws which are now visible. Move the cluster forward. There are 3 connectors on the back which are held in place with a little locking bracket. Undo the bracket and the connector then slides out. The one on the right side has the shortest lead on it and is not easy to reach and undo. Protect the top of your steering column with a cloth or so when you do this otherwise you'll scratch it with the cluster's attachments.

2) Split the cluster body - Remove 2 screws on the back (torx), then I used matches to keep the clamps apart after which the body slides in 2 halves.

3) Next is to remove dails - Be very carefull - use a thin knife blade under the centre of the dail - you need quite a bit of force to price them off. you only need to remove the speedo, tacho, fuel and temp dails. leave the volt and oil temp in place.

4) Take of dial covers and remove white support unit behind it: Cut the corners with some plyers at the volt and oil pressure dial location and just above the 2 small displays. Remove the white support structure - it is still fixed to the PCB with some clamps.

7) Remove the metal surround of the display. This is removed by turning the clamps on the back of the PCB such that the metal surround can be slid up and out.

Cool Now remove the old display - use solder iron to heat up the contacts on the PCB one by one. I used some plyers to keep the flexible lead under tension, one by one you can then unsolder the connection - this is not easy and with me it started tearing apart and I spend quite some time having to take the little strips off one by one.

9) clean up contact strips on print board - use plenty of solder flux and go over each contact strip with the solder iron, add more solder tin if required.

10) Put new display in place, I used tape to keep it in position. You need to ensure it lines up properly, it is a bit fiddly to get it in the exactly the right place.

11) The final bit. With the new display's flexi strip hovering over the connector strips on the PCB, you need to use some soldering flux, then heat up each connection strip one by one - not too long but long enough so the solder melts and creates the connection.

12) Once you're happy with the soldering (check each connection with a magnifying glass to ensure connection has been established), put it back together in the reverse order. The tricky bit here is the positioning of the dails in the "0" position. This is not obvious and after a few attempts mine are now fine.

All in all I took well over 3 hrs: You need plenty of patience and some soldering skills, but I would not want to do this again....

good luck

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work, well done.

I'll make that a sticky as it's such a common issue.

Ingolstance 
GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

QuattroJames wrote:
Nice work, well done.

Cheers for that - 2 days in and it is still working - can't help but looking at it during driving - simple things make life so much better.. Very Happy

kurgan
Camped on the site

Location: London UK Passat 1.8T SE '01 (Y) A4 1.8 SE '96 (N) Vag-Com user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I tried this fix on my passat B5, now it just shows this message.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg94/scaled.php?server=94&filename=cluster1x.jpg&res=medium

Barnz
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GJR wrote:
QuattroJames wrote:
Nice work, well done.

Cheers for that - 2 days in and it is still working - can't help but looking at it during driving - simple things make life so much better.. Very Happy

Does it still work??? Smile

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Highlighted on the home page- thanks Wink

GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Barnz wrote:
Does it still work??? Smile

Yes, 7 months in and 10K further it is still fully functioning Very Happy

GhostRaven

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone tried just re-soldering the joints for the display? I am the proud new owner of a B5 A4, and havent gotten around to fixing this yet. But with my electronics background, and the symptoms i found (cuts out with heat, but will display when it is cold) tells me a bad solder joint? Any thoughts?

GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is not as simple as that. Appearently it is the flexible connector which looses its connection to the display rather than to the pcb. Sometimes by applying some pressure to this area you can get an improvement on this (the 5 pound "fixes" on E-bay will tell you all about this).
I tried this but it made no difference to mine, so in the end replacing the lot is the answer.
good luck

Evilgoat76

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghostraven - Broadly speaking you are correct, however its the connection from the FPC to the class or FPC to the driver chip. The same thing causes 'horizon' lines on TFT displays and is likewise, terminal.

audivw
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

whys all the pictures not coming up !!!!!

quattroforum.com 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

View next topic
View previous topic