Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 2.0 16v running less than perfect

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

clivey wrote:

The other problem you have (excessive idle) could well be a sticky tps switch(throttle potentiometer switch), it is a combined switch on a 16v coupe part no 048 133 154 also compatable with either 6A or ACE engine (thanks Jas for part no).

Mine sometimes idles excessively intermittently, i have a new switch to replace it, just waiting for a dry day now with no nappies/crying kids to look after !!

Ive been told a quick way to tell if it is the switch is;- whilst its idling excessively, quickly turn the ignition off and on again before the engine completely stops and it should revert back to your normal idle speed. Its situated just below No 5 in the picture.

source http://www.audifans.net/ftopicp-95324.html

I spotted this while searching for info on the airflow system.

i have noticed that mine tends to run nice after i flick the key (mostly) do you think this could have any merit for my issues, maybe multiple issues at work?[url][/url]

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

totalE wrote:
right, think the dying battery is down to some *censored* has painted the alternator mounting brackets Rolling Eyes Laughing Evil or Very Mad

going to fit an earth strap in the morning

so today decided to bring the audi home and have a muck aboot. (spare charged battery and a set of jump leads in the boot, lol)

plugged all connections back in, plugged it in, did a reset, shut the place up and headed home, had ma t and a wee chin wag with ma neighbour, then plugged it back in

results :

Code:
enECU Information
Ecu Ver Name                       Ecu Ver Value                     
VAG Number                         8A0907404G                         
Component                          2,0l R4 MK 4Ventil D01             
Soft.Coding                        09889                             
WSC                                73776                             

enRead Codes
00520               Passive/Sporadic
Air mass/flow meter-G70/G19-Open circuit/short circuit to ground

enRead Codes
00287               Passive/Sporadic
Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor -G44-lost23
00597               Passive/Sporadic
Differing wheel speed impulses-lost23

had to nurse it home too, and it used more or less all the fuel getting home, altho to be fair the failing battery may be causing a low fuel guage reading.

anyway, for return tomorrow the temp sensor is off, and the cold start is on, see what happens, then switch em round do it again.

As for the fuel gauge, have you tried this?

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/older-models/6131-repairing-intermittent-water-temp-fuel-gauges-80-90-100-a.html[/url]

EDIT: Damn the photos aren't there anymore Sad

totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, i've seen that, not tried it, took the clockls out to try it the other day, got a phonecall and had to go out so just put it back together since the battlepug (our spare car, 206 1.4 hdi, officially the most reliable car in the world, broke down once with a broken wire, in 8 years) was on loan to a customer whose car i was working on.

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

totalE wrote:
yeah, i've seen that, not tried it, took the clockls out to try it the other day, got a phonecall and had to go out so just put it back together since the battlepug (our spare car, 206 1.4 hdi, officially the most reliable car in the world, broke down once with a broken wire, in 8 years) was on loan to a customer whose car i was working on.

Fair enough, well I can almost bet you my own car that it's that if you're getting bad fuel readings that intermittently just drop out. I've done it on both my B3 and B4 multiple times. I've tried some spring washers but no luck. My next step is to try some soldering maybe because mine are still a bit jumpy at times.

totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

well, not an update on progress, because i have been pretty busy in the garage, and tbh there's been very little done to the car, lol

i have however now run in the engine and got to grips with the little snags etc.

charging - its the alternator. what i have discovered (and tbh can't belive i didn't notice it quicker than i did) is that when i start the car the volts are down, maybe around 9 or 10. if i give the car a rev (and i mean a good rev) they rise to around 14.2 and stay there. if turn the car off without this rev i will need to jump start it, even if the battery has a full charge, if i do give the rev, i can start the car, rev it, turn it off, turn it back on, rev again, off etc etc. could do it 10 times if i wanted. i reckon when i was cleaning all the components etc, i gave the alternator a going over with a wire wheel and i think theres metal dust inside the alternantor. going to try a strip down, clean and rebuild later in the week see if that helps.

poor idle - this is MUCH less of an issue now. car still stutters a little after starting, and will on occasion hold a high idle, but 90% of the time its idling bang on at around 850rpm, which its never done the whole time i've had it.

engine health. - is awesome. after the head work and clean up etc, i have not used a single drop of oil or water, the car is stronger under acceleration, and the only smoke from the exhaust is from a little overfueling, and no longer constant. no more blue oil smoke.

totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok, so all week i've had to jump start it everywhere i've went, and tonight the oil light came on and the heaters went cold.

going over the weighbridge in the morning.

i will NEVER have another audi or volkswagon again, this has been by far and away the least reliable car i've had, followed closely by my bmw, another car i'll never buy again.

gonna go do what i was originally gonna do before i bought this thing and get another Peugeot. of all the fords, vauxhalls, bmws, toyotas, hondas, rovers, and noo this audi, the Citroens and Peugeots NEVER let me down. not once.

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked O dear not good news then regarding the charging have you tried another alternator?...regarding the oil light,what is the gauge showing and is there a buzzer? regarding the heater,was the system bled correctly with the heater on hot?....dis-regard the above if it's been gotten rid of...

Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

good news for the audi. i calmed down by the next morning, gave it a coolant bleed and been all good since, lol.

totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

finally figured out why i couldn't decide whether the problem was the battery, the alternator or a wiring fault.

it was all 3

new battery, alternator and power lead from alt to battery and its running SWEEEET

still not sure why it all was fine before the engine work, then bad after it, but hey......

thats no bad, i bought this car for £450, and so far i've spent about 2 grand on it Sad

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

totalE wrote:
f, i bought this car for £450, and so far i've spent about 2 grand on it Sad

Laughing did tickle me,I have not a clue the amount it cost to just want my car,but it makes me smile Rolling Eyes kin weird,others buy an buy another, each to their own..

Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

in the last 12 months its had hbrake cables, rear calipers, h.brake lever, r wheel bearing, 1 set rubber bushes, followed by 1 wishbone, followed by poly bushes (never ending troubles) 2 new strut top mounts, 4 new shocks, 4 new springs, front & rear brake pads, 3 track rod ends, steering damper, oxygen sensor, decat pipe, new interior, new stereo, 6 tyres, full service, h gasket, 2 radiators, 2 front wings, waterpump, timing belt, temp sensor, new parcel shelf, new top rad hose.

should really be in better nick than it is, lol

Herald
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

6 tyres lol thats a long list, bought my coupe for 350 in jan 2014 and so far,

1 set winter wheel and tyres 80 quid(need them for driving in germany)
cam belt aux belt 40 quid
spark plugs 30 quid
expansion tank bargain 15 quid
service stuff 50 quid
mot 50 quid
fuel 35 euros a week x 44 so 1540 euros about 1300 quid!!

grand total 1915 and l get 32 cent a km back from work so about 4000 euros about 3300 quid so a profit of 1400 quid Laughing all the way to the banks.

totalE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I thinking on it, it might actually be 7 tyres, put a full set of 4 on it, front ones lasted notime, then i got a bad puncture on a rear, lol

In the nearly 4ears I've had it I've probably had about 8 tyres just on the front, mainly due to the eating wishbone bushe's and track rod ends for breakfast. Could be the big nut behind the steering wheel that's loose tho.

View next topic
View previous topic