Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Left wheel knocking and new aerial replacement?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Roro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I have just purchased an Audi cab 2000 plate. The left wheel knocks when turning hard right, any ideas? Cv boot? Also can anyone point me in the right direction for a Haynes manual?

Also I have been looking to replace the power aerial, does anyone know if this is a difficult job?

I'm no mechanic but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, pictures please Very Happy

Sounds like you have got a dodgy cv joint but does it only do it on right hand lock? if its the cv joint i would think it should do it on left lock as well. Have you got after market wheels? maybe the offset is wrong and its hitting the strut?

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Roro wrote:
Hi all, I have just purchased an Audi cab 2000 plate. The left wheel knocks when turning hard right, any ideas? Cv boot? Also can anyone point me in the right direction for a Haynes manual?

Also I have been looking to replace the power aerial, does anyone know if this is a difficult job?

I'm no mechanic but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi, If you're looking for an original audi part to replace the aerial, they are hard to get hold of and feckin expensive, I tried and the only one in the UK was £98.00 plus vat. but you could fit an after market aerial for a lot less!

Roro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies chaps. I have spoken to AVS in Leatherhead and they reckon it is a cv boot that is the issue (shuan5 you were right, it does it on both locks).
Thanks ukwide, £98.00 is crazy, I'll go aftermarket. The power bit is fine it's just aerial itself, it only goes half up or down. Do you know if they are tricky to change?

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its not to bad a job to replace it but i would remove it and try cleaning the mast or turn on the radio, give it a hand to go up and then wipe the mast and spray WD40 on it when its going down. do that a few times and it might go all the way up and down.

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A Beru A350 is the closest aftermarket replacement that I know of which comes anywhere near the Audi OEM one. It does sit pretty high when extended though - around 95cm if I remember correctly. Can be found on fleabay for around £40ish, I got mine from GSF car parts for £45 delivered.
Best thing about it is that it is a straight swap and easy job, although I did have to buy a coax to DIN ISO convertor/connector for the signal line.
That said, after fitting I didn't like it and decided to go for a much shorter static jobbo - 9 quid from halfords.
As for the clicking, defo the CV joints. These cars eat through front suspension parts due to the position/weight of the engine, especially the drop link bars.

GSF Beru A350 electric aerial: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/892vg0140
Fleabay listing for coax to DIN connector: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerial-Coax-Adapter-Lead-DIN-41585-M10-AUKAB-435-17-/360339065371

BRC LPG conversion - half price fuel Wink
Twin exit custom exhaust fitted by the guys at glasgow C+C Exhausts.  
Roro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have tried loosening with GT85 but no joy, I think the aerial is marginally bent, thanks for the info on the aftermarket replacement, will look into it. The car has just done 80k, so I imagine suspension parts could start to groan now.
On another note.... I get quite a lot of water dripping into the boot after washing the car, any idea how this gets into the boot lid?
Really love the car already but starting to realise it's going to be a labour of love! Especially as it is my wife' and kids main run about (until I get home of course).

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Roro wrote:
I have tried loosening with GT85 but no joy, I think the aerial is marginally bent, thanks for the info on the aftermarket replacement, will look into it. The car has just done 80k, so I imagine suspension parts could start to groan now.
On another note.... I get quite a lot of water dripping into the boot after washing the car, any idea how this gets into the boot lid?
Really love the car already but starting to realise it's going to be a labour of love! Especially as it is my wife' and kids main run about (until I get home of course).

Boot lid leaks are common on these (even more so the coupe version).
Usual suspect areas are the rubber seals in the boot themselves and/or the seals outside around the tail light section.
Neoprene rubber sealing gaskets can be found in the usual places online - this stuff is great for resealing light units, but takes patience and a bit of a light hand to fit.
In this sticky thread you can find all you need to know about removing and resealing the rear tail light section: http://audifans.net/ftopict-31291.html
Excellent tutorial from daver with pics to boot (excuse the pun!) lol

The aerial mast can also be replaced: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-A8-80-90-100-Quattro-Cabriolet-Aerial-Antenna-Mast-/360944790912
Just remove the unit from the car and undo the external screws, it can get messy once open due to the internal grease on the cogs.
Just be sure to fit it back together exactly as it came apart.
Not a hard job, but a bit fiddly (and messy!)

Roro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies. Do you know which is the best Haynes manual to use?
I'll try to get a couple of photos up soon for those who are interested. I've just noticed it doesn't have the rude looking splitter/spoiler on the front like some I've seen, it also has rounded edged fogs on the front, not the more square I've noticed on earlier models, not sure what the difference is...

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately there are no Haynes manuals that are specific to the cabriolet but if I remember correctly the Audi 80, 90 & Coupe manual have very similar techniques detailed that would be used in maintaining the B4 cab.

Roro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A pic guys. Mechanic thought that front left noise was too intermittent and mild to bother with now however he did say that the cambelt needs doing as it was done 17k and 5 yrs ago. £538 all in, sounds about right I guess, need to book it in... Really need to find out how to stop water getting inside the boot lid itself!.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.01 KB
 Viewed:  1104 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.01 KB
 Viewed:  1060 Time(s)

image.jpg

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A timing belt fitted 17k and only 5 years ago? It's barely been run in!!
It has at least another 60k before another change is really necessary so I'm afraid your mechanic is simply playing the salesman act..
I've personally never bought the "80k or 10 years - whatever comes first malarkey", a visual inspection should be more than enough to tell if a belt is on it's way out, but I generally stick to the mileage rule of about 80k.
And £538 is way too pricey for a change, most quotes I've heard for these engines are around the £400 - 450 mark (and much less if it is done for "mates rates").
The full timing kit itself is around £70, and you will be better off doing the water pump/thermostat change while the front of the engine is exposed - add about another £40 for those. Job should only take 3-4 hours max for someone who knows what they are doing and has all the right kit to get the job done..most important is the cam locks to hold them in TDC while the belt is replaced.
Here is a link to probably the best tutorial for an ABC engine cambelt change I have found to date:
http://tipetu.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/audi-2628-c4-a6-100-80-a4-cam-belt-job.html
Even if you don't want to attempt it yourself, it tells you what is involved, with high quality pictures.

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes the car might not have done the miles but it is 5 years old so should be replaced.
Think about it, the engine obviously gets left for possibly long periods, the belt will be formed to its rest shape and then started which will stress it.
Audi engines are interference engines so its not worth the risk of not changing the belt.
Price does seem a bit steep but it depends on whats getting replaced and what make of parts are being used (genuine or not?)

And nice looking car you have

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

CV joints are one on each side.

So if it's clacking/clunking on hard lock it's likely a CV joint on that side I believe. Usually only one is dead so you only replace that side, in some cases it's both (like mine).

Roro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys, got a price on the cambelt from a local garage at £400 all in, that seems far more reasonable, I'm going to get it done so I don't have to live with worry! Thanks for the tips on the cv joint/s, will address that when I hear a permanent noise.
Today poured water around the boot avoiding the third brake light, no water got in the boot lid ,pretty sure that's how the water is getting in, the lens is warped so I need to order a new one (£45 on eBay....)

Roro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The culprit. Do I replace just the lens or the whole unit (it works).

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.74 KB
 Viewed:  1026 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.74 KB
 Viewed:  993 Time(s)

image.jpg

smokie
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

v6-fubar wrote:
It has at least another 60k before another change is really necessary so I'm afraid your mechanic is simply playing the salesman act..
I've personally never bought the "80k or 10 years - whatever comes first malarkey", a visual inspection should be more than enough to tell if a belt is on it's way out, but I generally stick to the mileage rule of about 80k.
And £538 is way too pricey for a change, most quotes I've heard for these engines are around the £400 - 450 mark (and much less if it is done for "mates rates").
The full timing kit itself is around £70, and you will be better off doing the water pump/thermostat change while the front of the engine is exposed - add about another £40 for those. Job should only take 3-4 hours max for someone who knows what they are doing and has all the right kit to get the job done..most important is the cam locks to hold them in TDC while the belt is replaced.
Here is a link to probably the best tutorial for an ABC engine cambelt change I have found to date:
http://tipetu.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/audi-2628-c4-a6-100-80-a4-cam-belt-job.html
Even if you don't want to attempt it yourself, it tells you what is involved, with high quality pictures.

just looking at the great pics here, and am asking did this person fit the belt without taking the front of the car off and raidator, as i have been told this must be done to gain access

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

smokie wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:

just looking at the great pics here, and am asking did this person fit the belt without taking the front of the car off and raidator, as i have been told this must be done to gain access

Looking at the pics, it shows that the whole job can be done without removing the front bumper/rad/slam panel etc but it does make it a lot easier if you have more room to play with!
As for the £400 for the cambelt swap, if that includes the thermostat and pump change then that does sound a lot more reasonable.
Generally, there is a fair amount of warning before a cambelt goes, and the last check I had was when swapping out the PAS pump, the cam belt still looked spot on with no tears/blemishes anywhere on it. This was previously done by another owner at 70k, 7 years ago. Once I hit 110k in a couple of months I'll give it another check then.
As for the high level brake light - Part No.8G0945122A.
Give your dealer a call, you may be surprised to find it could be less than the £45 that a8parts want on their fleabay store!

smokie
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just to let you know got my timming belt, thermostat and water pump replaced at Motor technolachy in Dundee for £440 last week, they done a great job also with a years warranty on parts, as for Dundee Audi for the same job they was wanting £800

View next topic
View previous topic