Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 1996 A4 B5 2.6 V6 Overheating

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
nibnob21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I have a 2.6 V6 1996 A4 (ABC engine). When idling, the coolant temperature gauge on the instrument panel creeps up and the viscous fan doesn't speed up to bring the temperature back down to 90.

The coolant in the tank is heating up but the large bottom radiator hose is remaining cold. I've not had the car that long so I'm still unfamiliar with the coolant flow route etc.

Just looking for some guidance as to where I should start trouble shooting...CTS? Thermostat? Air lock? Viscous fan?

Thanks.

nibnob21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I should add that I had to drop the coolant recently as I had to remove the oil cooler when replacing the oil pressure sensor. I haven't had the car long enough to be able to say whether or not it would have been overheating before this or not, but thought it was worth mentioning as I know some cars can be sensitive to refilling with coolant and air locks.

nibnob21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, after further thought I think it's possible there's an air lock in the radiator. Is there a specific bleed hole on the radiator itself as there doesn't seem to be any removable cap, like I'm used to seeing on other cars?

nibnob21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bled the cooling system today. Exposed the hole in the heater hose and started by blowing into the expansion tank - this definitely cleared some air. Then let the engine run until coolant came out of the hole. Pushed the hose back on and tightened the jubilee clip.

Carried on letting the car idle and the temp crept up again. The viscous fan didn't speed up again, but on the plus side revving the engine and holding it at about 2k means the fan speeds up enough to quickly bring the temp back down lol. Bottom rad hose eventually got hot and the heaters blew hot too.

So air lock sorted, thermostat and water pump are working, viscous fan doesn't automatically speed up and additional electric fan doesn't kick in.

Powered the electric fan directly from the battery and it span, so the motor is fine. If the electric fan isn't initiating with temp then my money is on a dodgy sensor. Any pointers as to which one?

View next topic
View previous topic