Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 1994 Audi 80 B4 Fans Stuck on?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,

So i was driving around the city/suburbs the other day and upon returning home i realized my fans were on 100%. They stayed on for a few hours until the battery died.. I am fixing that solution now, but alas the problem of the fans staying on 100% still sticks.

I assume it is a temperature sensor or something somewhere being stuck "on" thinking that the car is too hot and blowing cool air to try and cool it down. The other thing to mention is that I do have an aftermarket radiator fitted (it came like that when I purchased it).

I do have my 1991 Audi 80 B3, which doesn't have that problem sitting in the shed for spares. Could I use the sensor off that?

Cheers,
-Matt

hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Matt-Matt wrote:
Hey guys,

I do have my 1991 Audi 80 B3, which doesn't have that problem sitting in the shed for spares. Could I use the sensor off that?

Cheers,
-Matt

I,d give it a go Smile

Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing that will be fan speed 1 that's running all the time. That's the afterrun fan.

Normal speed fan doesn't run with ignition off.

I'd pull the relay from the fuse box for fan speed 1 or disconnect the wiring from the sensor. It's more likely to be the relay that's faulty

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
I'm guessing that will be fan speed 1 that's running all the time. That's the afterrun fan.

Normal speed fan doesn't run with ignition off.

I'd pull the relay from the fuse box for fan speed 1 or disconnect the wiring from the sensor. It's more likely to be the relay that's faulty

So I can just fully disconnect the afterrun fan completelty? I may just do that seeing as it will drain the battery if it's low in normal conditions too.. But is it bad to do so?

EDIT: Pulled the 1st speed fan fuse... Still comes on when i hook up the battery. Same with any other fan related fuses.

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

As of today the fans just shut off when the ignition is off..
Don't know what happened but Matt is a happy camper! Very Happy

vmx1200

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I have a similar issue on my 1992 cabriolet, the cooling fan starts as soon as the battery is connected, irrespective of ignition switch. The car is a 2.0 e with an ABK engine. If it is the after run fan which fuse controls that and where is the sensor? when the battery is connected the fans start however I cannot hear and relay operating .... should one be? if so which relay would be involved Thanks in advance (I will post on Cabbie forum in case different people read that)

Sarfraz
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Matt, so you still have that car? I thought it was in a crash? or did you buy another one? Very Happy

Abdul 

View next topic
View previous topic