Adrian Flux Insurance
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Full lock change 96 Coupe a few questions

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Evening guys, first post on here in probably 8 years, a wee bit of back ground first, owned a N reg 2.6 v6 coupe many moons ago, loved it but replaced with a 3.2V6 A3Q, moved onto an e46m3 about 7 years ago (still have that) but had a a3 sportback Quattro for a few years as a daily for few years there too.

fast fwd to today and I just bought / won at auction a N reg 1996 Audi Coupe 2.0E (wont get it till Monday) which as far as i can tell has been seized by DVLA for no tax not collected and auctioned off, car is generally in good condition, needs a front driver wing as there is some rot, Has some age related damage as would be expected but generally seems in decent condition. Car seems looks like it has been looked after in previous life. its got an MOT for the next 8months and is in need of some tyres. and needs a really good clean inside and out, quite looking forward to detailing it.

Now the big initial issue is that there are no keys, I have found a breaker with a full set from a Cabrio of the same year, just waiting to hear back from them on compatibility any insights welcome,
I have also contacted local locksmith to see if they can help. again awaiting a response.

If i were to replace the locks and ignition barrel (with steering column) would i run into issues with the immobilisers for starting or could it be plug and play. I have read of deleting the immobiliser from ECU

Not sure how easy it is to get these started with no keys (dodgy i know) but wouldnt mind hearing it run etc before buying up parts.

The car will be a wee side project if once i get it home and checked it not a dog. and if thats the case will probably start a project thread.

Cheers and thanks in advance

AOC member [color=red:f1f9 
bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been dong some net scouring, found somewhere who offer new keys cut from the key code, which may be in service book or on the back of the lock, that would be the easy solution, at least for locking, I have found transponders online too, just not sure how easyly then can be releaned by the car, have a mate who is pretty decent with VCDS on newer VAG cars once I get the car will see what i can figure out and take it from there.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A 1996 car will definitely come with an immobiliser. You may be able to swap the barrel over and retain the immobiliser loop which goes around it.

Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks Mike had a quote from a local locksmith for new keys with transponders for 120, so I may go down the cheaper route of changing stuff out, if i can find and get a key cut cheap minus transponder I may do that to enable locking and ease of moving it about to disengage steering lock.

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Got the car dropped of last night, look like its in Better condition than I thought,/hoped I havent had a chanve to go over it yet and it me be a wee while before i do, going to try find a key code for getting a key cut, not fussed on transponder to start with just want to be able to get steering lock off and function doors etc...

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

quick snap after getting it dropped off

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looks not bad but that bumper would get my ocd senses doing overtime

Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its doing my head in and the back is just as bad, refusing to spend time on cleaning and detailing it until I have it running and know mechanically its in decent shape, Actually really looking forward to giving it a full decontamination, machine polish and wax. The body work seems generally good apart from the front drivers wing and interior relatively sound, has some usual issues, water getting in rear lights, one seat not flipping forward etc, but engine by etc is honest looking and maintained.

only thing i go done on it yesterday is climb through the backseat to pop the boot and find build sticker, the one from the service book was still attached to the one in the boot. also stuck a moisture trap in for now

View next topic
View previous topic