Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Full lock change 96 Coupe a few questions

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Evening guys, first post on here in probably 8 years, a wee bit of back ground first, owned a N reg 2.6 v6 coupe many moons ago, loved it but replaced with a 3.2V6 A3Q, moved onto an e46m3 about 7 years ago (still have that) but had a a3 sportback Quattro for a few years as a daily for few years there too.

fast fwd to today and I just bought / won at auction a N reg 1996 Audi Coupe 2.0E (wont get it till Monday) which as far as i can tell has been seized by DVLA for no tax not collected and auctioned off, car is generally in good condition, needs a front driver wing as there is some rot, Has some age related damage as would be expected but generally seems in decent condition. Car seems looks like it has been looked after in previous life. its got an MOT for the next 8months and is in need of some tyres. and needs a really good clean inside and out, quite looking forward to detailing it.

Now the big initial issue is that there are no keys, I have found a breaker with a full set from a Cabrio of the same year, just waiting to hear back from them on compatibility any insights welcome,
I have also contacted local locksmith to see if they can help. again awaiting a response.

If i were to replace the locks and ignition barrel (with steering column) would i run into issues with the immobilisers for starting or could it be plug and play. I have read of deleting the immobiliser from ECU

Not sure how easy it is to get these started with no keys (dodgy i know) but wouldnt mind hearing it run etc before buying up parts.

The car will be a wee side project if once i get it home and checked it not a dog. and if thats the case will probably start a project thread.

Cheers and thanks in advance

AOC member [color=red:f1f9 
bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been dong some net scouring, found somewhere who offer new keys cut from the key code, which may be in service book or on the back of the lock, that would be the easy solution, at least for locking, I have found transponders online too, just not sure how easyly then can be releaned by the car, have a mate who is pretty decent with VCDS on newer VAG cars once I get the car will see what i can figure out and take it from there.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A 1996 car will definitely come with an immobiliser. You may be able to swap the barrel over and retain the immobiliser loop which goes around it.

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks Mike had a quote from a local locksmith for new keys with transponders for £120, so I may go down the cheaper route of changing stuff out, if i can find and get a key cut cheap minus transponder I may do that to enable locking and ease of moving it about to disengage steering lock.

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Got the car dropped of last night, look like its in Better condition than I thought,/hoped I havent had a chanve to go over it yet and it me be a wee while before i do, going to try find a key code for getting a key cut, not fussed on transponder to start with just want to be able to get steering lock off and function doors etc...

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

quick snap after getting it dropped off

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looks not bad but that bumper would get my ocd senses doing overtime

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its doing my head in and the back is just as bad, refusing to spend time on cleaning and detailing it until I have it running and know mechanically its in decent shape, Actually really looking forward to giving it a full decontamination, machine polish and wax. The body work seems generally good apart from the front drivers wing and interior relatively sound, has some usual issues, water getting in rear lights, one seat not flipping forward etc, but engine by etc is honest looking and maintained.

only thing i go done on it yesterday is climb through the backseat to pop the boot and find build sticker, the one from the service book was still attached to the one in the boot. also stuck a moisture trap in for now

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've just replaced my door locks to match the ignition, which had been changed a while ago. You need to take the door cards off, then ideally pull the whole frames with glass and motors out. it's a bit of faffing about to get the barrels out of the locks in situ but doable. Your car will be a bit different from my CQ20v but i'm sure it's a similar process. It would be great to get new keys done instead of changing the locks, but it's definitely not an impossible job Very Happy

I had a look at the spare locks that I have and I don't see any numbers on them so I assume you'll need to find that in your documentation if they're there. From memory, I think the lock number actually comes on a little metal tab. I've seen them on keyrings for cars I've bought and sold. They're supposed to be kept somewhere safe, so that could be with the documents or... somewhere REALLY safe, which means 'not in the car'. Good luck thumbright

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just realised my reply is about a month late Very Happy

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply NJ, car is sitting as it was, the weather and other factors got in the way, I had the door card apart but didnt get to the door lock cheers for checking your spare locks, only documentation i got is the service book, had to wait for V5 to come back and spoke to Audi and have a new key coming cut to the chassis number for £38, the I have a spare ignition swtich and car will turn but not fire due to immobilsier, a mate is handy with VCDS and has vag commander and vag tacho so hoping he can program the key, if not will cross that bridge.

Not wanting to put time/money in it until i have it firing and moving. then updates will follow.

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck with getting it running matey. You'd be daft to do anything until you know it runs Smile
38 quid was a lot more reasonable than I would expect for the new key. I once bought a used key fob and recoded it to my A4 but i'm fekked if I can remember how I did it. I'll dig about and see if I can find any notes on audi-sport.net, where I might have written something. Might have used one functioning key in the process though. hmmmm.
keep us (me at least) posted on how you get on Smile

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Will do audi want £70 to code it to the car, but would cost me to get it towed there, should also add local locksmith best price so far was £120 to come out cut, and code a key which isnt bad considering no keys to start with, but if i can get it for £40 and a few beers my mates way even better/ will update the thread with progress as and when hoping to have the key by the weekend

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yes. If you have a made who can do the coding that's definitely option #1 Very Happy

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies for the delay in updating, Audi never bothered to call to say the keys were in, only when I called to chase it up did they let me know it was in for how long i dont want to know,

So Sat and Sunday afternoon were spent with various versions of VagTacho and Vag commander to try and get immobiliser code, but with no success so i pulled out the immobiliser box and done a bit of searching off the part number, and fund a very basic bit of softwae to read the eeprom, which decoded the hex to get immo code this afternoon, and getting my mate round with VCDS to code the key and
Sucess!!!
running driving car, had it up and down our shared driveway, a few issues which i expected from MOT history etc, but generally in decent shape now to get it back into shape.
Will probably not update this thread and start a project thread but one last thing what would folks opinion on tyres being a profile size down from 205/60/15 to 195/50/15 would be a good branded tyre rather than the old/worn/ditch finders that are on just now, would it put you off buying not being correct oe size, I know the speedo would read about 2-3 mph over and the overall rolling diameter is about 20mm less but the oe arch gap is so big already not sure it would make a difference. Thanks in advance

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

that's brilliant news mate, well done Very Happy
Must be great to have it driving now, after it has been sitting doing nothing for so long?

Not sure about the tyres to be honest. I have 15" OEM wheels with my studded winter tyres and hate the look of them (but the tyres were about €700 for 15" so I'll love with them). I have 17" Boleros for summer and need tyres for them in spring time. brand wise I just put Typhoons/Tyfoons on my A4, which are made by Continental it seems. They've been really good. Good balance of performance versus price. At the time I needed to change all 4 in 18" and couldn't stretch to really decent tyres. Plus, I don't ever need them in really shitty weather, since I have Nokian Hakkepelita studded tyres.

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers yeah very happy it runs and well, I dont plan on changing the wheels unless a set comes up real cheap, the 15s look tiny, I did run rs4 style 17s on my old one years ago, Will just kep an eye open for tyre deals will be a few weeks at least getting it up to spec.

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

RS4 reps? me too! Very Happy

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thats tidy, they suit the car so much, i haven't got pics of my old one to hand but it looked awful like that but in turquoise.

Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, of all the coupes I've owned I miss that body the most. It was onöy a 2.0 16v so obviously not my favourite engine (I've had every other variant apart from the 2.8 V6 quattro), some to fix and sell on, some to break. Previous owner of that red car was a body shop bloke in Glasgow so he'd resprayed it and lowered it. It turned heads all the time. I look at my 2.3 20v quattro now, and it just doesn't have the same "ooooh" factor. I think I need to lower it and have at least parts of it repainted (bumpers, bonnet and spoiler).
I always liked the turquoise coupes too. Was it Kingfisher blue officially?

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

off the top of my head i can remember as i remember kingfisher blue was more blue. mine wasnt lowered but still looked great. they suit the s2 style bumper.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nice one getting it running. 195/50 15 really will look wrong.

I got a Coupe with 205/55 15 which still looked under sized.

I've got a spare set of Ronals with 195/50 15 on them if you want to try them to see how they look

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for backing up what i was thinking on it, and appreciate the offer, i will get some of the correct tyre size no rush as got a lot i want to do to it before its let loose on the roads. nothing overly major mechanically but everything takes time.

edit just realised i had meant to say 195/60/15 (not 50 profile) not that it matters now as the ones i had spied are now sold

bigchewie
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nj wrote:
Yeah, of all the coupes I've owned I miss that body the most. It was onöy a 2.0 16v so obviously not my favourite engine (I've had every other variant apart from the 2.8 V6 quattro), some to fix and sell on, some to break. Previous owner of that red car was a body shop bloke in Glasgow so he'd resprayed it and lowered it. It turned heads all the time. I look at my 2.3 20v quattro now, and it just doesn't have the same "ooooh" factor. I think I need to lower it and have at least parts of it repainted (bumpers, bonnet and spoiler).
I always liked the turquoise coupes too. Was it Kingfisher blue officially?

found some pics earlier of the old coupe,

View next topic
View previous topic