Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - what is a 200 avant?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
seanm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

reason I ask is I've got to go and pick one up , one of my bosses old cars,He purchased it new and kept it in Switzerland as a holiday car, as a result of which it has about 35000km from new (87-8Cool and has been stored by the same garage that sold it to him for 11 months of every year.
So it should be a new old car, but are they any use and is the drive train ect the same as the more sporty quattros-I have to decide what to do with it as I live in France and it is going to cost me about 1000 pounds and loads of hassle to import. any thoughts welcome.

Craig
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 200 Avant is the same body shape as the 100 Avant, e.g. the wind cheating aerodynamic shape. It had a different set of front headlamps, different rear light clusters and generally a higher level of trim and equipment.
The drivetrain is very similar to more "sporty" Quattros if not identical. Engine will either be the 2226cc 5 cylinder or the turbocharged version with slightly less power than the Ur-Quattro due to the lack of intercooler.
As to any use, it definitley will be, low mileage, galvanised body etc. The cars are capable of extremely high mileage as long as oil changes etc are adhered to. If you get it, and I would suggest for 1000GBP that you should, change the timing belt and any other rubber belts it has, e.g. air con, alternator etc. After 15 or so years of even limited use these could have perished, be aware that the same may go for wishone bushes, tie rod ends and rear diff bushes.

seanm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply,how much hp do these things put out?-it is the turbo version. I,ve just got a fax saying that its getting a full service and can I pick it up in the next two weeks,so I guess I'll make my decision on the drive back-might get lucky and they will have changed belts ect.

paulfern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

is this a 10v turbo or 20v turbo

the 10V turbo (MC) in base form will produce about 170BHP and their were some versions with 200 ...chipping these things can produce about 270 BHP...

If it is a 200 Avant 20v then this is another story altogether...rarest of the rarest audi cars..most went to the US of course...
But they came with pretty much a (3B) 2.2 20v turbo motor also known most commonly in the S4 and S6 cars
Mean son of a %$$#@ cars...

I would be interested in seeing a picture of this car 10V or 20V ...not many of these 200 AVANT cars around anyway...and one with 35,000 KM ..

Paul

seanm

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply. I,ve organized to pick it up at the end of may,when I do I'll post a photo,no idea if its a 20v, I was told it was fitted with a ''custom interior'' when new as the original was ''a bit plasticky'' .
Nice web site good luck with your business, if you can make a profit selling exhausts ect at those prices then you should do well.

paulfern

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh Hell...you stumbled onto a real rare one...

Audi supposedelly offered a special package for custom interior ...don't recall the name for this package..but it was the full deal ...leather everywhere. Bose sound system ..the works...

Oh man I am drooling........please post a picture of this thing when you get it as I have never seen one of these with the custom interior package ..

Thanks about the site...Yes I am doing my best to keep things down on the bottom...thanks for the comments.

Paul

SteveB
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

They are 183bhp from memory but are faster than a ur quattro (200bhp) as they have a more areodynamic body. my brother owns a 1986 200 quattro avant, air conditioning, electric seats Etc will do about 30 mpg on a run

84 WR in bits very slowly going back together
1979 Scirocco Storm - in need of some TLC

www.naomihouse.org.uk 
paulfern

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was refering to the 200 20V ..you must be talking about the 200 10V..

The 200 20v puts out some 215-220BHP..
this car uses pretty much the same motor as the C4-S4/ C4-S6..

They are so rare...that you might encounter a lamborghine first before you see one of these in your local town...

Also note the pciture below of a 200 20V engine bay..note the 20V beast!!

Paul

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

The 200 20v received the 3B (220 hp) engine which was only used in the 200 and the S2 up until 1992. The 10v turbo was the 1B (non cat). if it's a 1988 it can only be a 10v.

Also remember this is a Swiss car - they have really strict emissions regs over there it will still have a catalyst so most likely engine is the MC. Might even have the GV engine.

seanm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just picked the thing up so have some idea of what it actually is as opposed to what I was told it was, It appears to be a 1985 model with 52000 kilometers on the clock ,it is in incredible condition although I,ll have to look at it properly when I,ve cleaned of some of the dust,the Interior is half leather with walnut? cappings there is a small plaque attatched to the dash that says the car was prepared for the guy I got it off by tressor or tessor -so mabye they did the interior.I don,t know how these things are supposed to drive ,but it felt heavy and took awhile to get going -seemed to have most of the power above 4000 RPM, Remembering that I saw the car for the first time this afternoon then promptly flogged over two swiss mountain passes and then about 500 km of autoroute-it seemed to have loosened up a bit when I got here .
So thats all I know at the moment -how do I tell which engine it is?
Thanks to every one who has posted its getting me interested in finding out exactly which model it is.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Standing at the fromt of the car facing the windscreen, there should be plate on the rhs of the block where it meets the head about halfway along You may have to remove some rust to see it. There should be an engine number - I would expect it to start KG xxxxxx.

paulfern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man please post some pictures of this thing...this thing is starting to sound more interesting every time.

seanm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

The engine number is *JY 001452* rust ? the engine bay looks like the car is about18 months old. Paul I hope it is something really interesting apart from being low milage and and very well kept the plaque actually reads "Dieser wagen wurde exclusiv gefertigt fur " and the owners name is engraved- apart from this I see no sign of tuning and it certainly rolls along but it aint that fast, the stereo is a nice Blaupunkt but doesnt seem that special car has heated seats and climate control. I may get time to take some photos to-night if not it will be next week but dont get to excited it is interesting but doesn't look that special Thanks again for all the help.

seanm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

The company name on the plaque is Treser

View next topic
View previous topic