Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 20V brake problems

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
TagBartok
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.
I'm seriously fed up with the brakes on my 90 20V which has the 276mm front discs and twin piston callipers at the front. I'm not at all heavy on my brakes, I can generally get over 50,000 out of a set of front pads. However I've just had to buy 4 new discs because the old ones had warped, the pads are virtually untouched. The front callipers are not seized in any way and they're new at the rear. So why are the discs warping? Something else, the n/s disc has a rusty ring about 45mm around its inner edge on the outer surface where the pad isn't contacting the disc properly. I've roughed the surface of the pads and cleaned off the rust but it hasn't cured it.
The outer pad has a sprung wire device fixed to the back plate. This I think is meant to hold the pad firm in the calliper. I was wondering if it was this that may be holding the pad away from the calliper if my calliper shouldn't utilise this spring.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tag
Sad

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Confused G,day Tag, sound like one of the piatons is either siezed or not running smoothly in the bore. Take the caliper off , keep the brake line attached and slowly depress the brake pedal checking any signs of corrosion or pitting in fact anything other than a very smoooth finish to the piston.
Regards Gavin

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Embarassed what the hell is a PIATON?? sorry dyslexic keyboard!! Check for any damage to the piston or inside the bore itself. Apologies brain isnt engaged today!! nothin new there then
regards Gavin

cq20v
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also the carrier pins need to be well lubed. Same set up on my CQ20V and I have had very few problems. I have replaced the discs due to wear but they have never warped (yet) despite a couple of track days.

1993 S2 Coupe - Sold (gutted)
1989 CQ20V - Sold
1986 Coupe GT - Deceased
1985 Coupe GT - Deceased 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

View next topic
View previous topic