Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Please - Quick Oil cap / Blow-by test - AEL or AAT owners

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi AEL or AAT owners !

Can you do very quick and safe test ?
With the engine idling, untight the oil cap, but let it be in place.

Two things can happen :

1- Does it “dance” ? (allow blow-by oil gases to pass through oil cap into atmosphere)

2- Is the oil cap sucked back into its place ? (you should feel vacuum if you try to lift the oil cap up).

Let me know, please ! Anyone with AEL or AAT...

Thanks !

Jimmy-the-Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AEL. It's a sucker. That's a good sign.
Just shy of 200k miles & still sucking! Very Happy

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mine sucks the oil cap back into its place. But i´ve heard the cap should " dance " , just like in the majority of the engines.

Funny, i´ve found a rubber membrane with a spring inside the valve cover (camshaft housing) in a small compartiment, that was damaged with a hole.
Replaced the part and I have a little more vacuum now.

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AEL, 228K. It sucks and always has.

Failure to suck could be a problem with the vent system, doesn't have to be knackered rings. I've never figured how the vent system actually works but there seems to be some sort of vortex thing attached to the intercooler-manifold pipe.

Nick

Triumph Vitesse  
HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, it is normal to suck air from the oil cap...

Well, if it is a common thing, then I guess mine is OK !

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure I've read on here that it's when they don't suck you need to worry on these engines......

Cheers

Nick

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For instance, my 1.6 Ibiza TDi, it blows oil vapor out of the oil cap and apparently it is very normal. J
Just like what you see in any other youtube-like "blow-by" test video.

Very weird why the AAT or AEL engine suck and not blow these gases Smile

SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My AAT sucks - so I guess this is a good thing.. Smile

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so this means that either all AAT or AEL are messed up, or, they´re just supposed to be this way, which is probably the right answer.

Thanks everyone for your input !

spink
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

my ael sucks

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just wish I knew where the clever little gizmo that makes then suck is as I could do with one of my old Triumph 2.5PI - that blows and slobbers like an old steam train.....

Nick

Triumph Vitesse  
SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NickJones wrote:
I just wish I knew where the clever little gizmo that makes then suck is as I could do with one of my old Triumph 2.5PI - that blows and slobbers like an old steam train.....

Nick

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice wording. Very Happy

In short, not sure, maybe some creative plumbing to bring the breather into the inlet manifold - that's how it's done on older petrol cars..

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I have created a breather system to replace the factory afterthought that is supposed to (and does) create a partial vacuum in the crankcase without hoovering up any oil. It fails to meet full expectation on the second point though..... more tweaking needed on the separation pot. Have to say that the breather arrangements did have remarkable effect on the various oil leaks which have mostly stopped.

Root problem is that the engine (rings/bores) is knackered, but as it still goes quite well and some ghetto valve stem seals have curbed the worst of the smokescreen effect, I can't bring myself to drag the engine out and mend it.

Nick

Triumph Vitesse  
HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
Tried again today, it feels like it´s sucking good. I even hear a little "pss" when I lift the oil cap.

But then, I made the test of unplugging all tubes that come from the oil separator (near timiing belt cover), and it´s funny how I almost can´t feel or see any blow-by !?

I mean, where are the gases going ? Can´t they come up from the crank case to the oil separator ?

This is weird...there should be some smoke coming up to be recycled.

seafarer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello ! I believe my problem is related to this topic: does anybody know the reason & function of that small hole (say 4 mm) into the crankcase cover, left side as you stand in front of the car, just between the 1st and the 2nd rubber hoses ? It's kind of tricky to notice it (at least for me) so be patient when looking for it. Can it be the way out for those gases ?

Breather AEL.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.93 KB
 Viewed:  1196 Time(s)

Breather AEL.JPG

SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt the hole is for venting crank-case gasses- they're usually routed back into the intake so they get burnt - as they're all part of the emission control system. You'd also get a constant dribble of oil from that hole if it is vented.

I was unaware of the existance of a hole there - I'll check when it's light and see if I got one too (might explain my filthy engine)

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, never saw that hole in mine. The 3 pipes, yes, they´re there.
Will check when i have light.

seafarer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Funny it is, indeed. I noticed that small hall while replacing (for the 2nd time!) the cover gasket, hoping to solve the oily mess on that side of the motor block. I do hope that the problem is solved now.
On the other hand, yesterday I tried a boost leak test on my engine, i.e. I put a cap with a bike valve onto the big hose that goes into the air intake. Guess what, the only smoke I saw coming out was through that small hole we were talking about ! Is that normal ? to loose air pressure ? I wonder what could go wrong if I block this hole ? And yes, my AEL is still a "sucker"...
One thing more: I removed the oil separator and cleaned it. When opening it, I only saw a steel ball at the lower end, acting like a valve. But no wire mesh or something alike to help condensate the fumes. Is that OK ? The previous owner worked on it before so I can not be sure if he "forgot" to put back everything inside. Mention should be made that I started this job with the separator consequent to an intriguing oil consumption. Indeed, the top cap of the separator was blown off.

RustyFIN
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have that small hole too. Somebody had put a screw in it.
And... mine was a sucker, I'm not sure yet what has happened, but nowadays it is a blower.

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your engine is a blower ? How ?

Mine sucks air to inside when I open the oil cap.

I am going to check that hole this weekend. And IF I have the time, I´d like to clean the oil separator, but it is time consuming because of the lower pipe connected to it. It has got a bracelet hard to take apart.

RustyFIN
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that valve cover gasket and also some of those "round" gaskets were leaking oil. I changed them and it was still leaking. I also noticed that the whole front of engine is messy. And there is a blow from the oil cap and also from the oil check stick if the oil cap is closed. A few months ago it was still a sucker.

When I have time (maybe in summer), I have to check compressions and by-pass flows, clean the vent systems etc and find the cause. Until then, I will not drive it.

HF1600ie wrote:

I am going to check that hole this weekend. And IF I have the time, I´d like to clean the oil separator, but it is time consuming because of the lower pipe connected to it. It has got a bracelet hard to take apart.

Last edited by RustyFIN on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total 
HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Most likely your vent system is shot. Your compression should be fine.

Inside the valve cover, you have a small compartiment (about tennis ball diameter), that has a rubber membrane inside with a spring.
You should check it.

RustyFIN wrote:
I noticed that valve cover gasket and also some of those "round" gaskets were leaking oil. I changed them and it was still leaking. I also noticed that the whole front of engine is messy. And there is a blow from the oil cap and also from the oil check stick if the oil cap is closed. A few months ago it was still a sucker.

When I have time (maybe in summer), I have to check compressions and by-pass flows, clean the vent systems etc and fint the cause. Until then, I will not drive it.

HF1600ie wrote:

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i´ve been looking at my engine this weekend. The pipe that blows the gases is the one nearest to the firewall. There are not too many gases coming out, but there are some. Just normal.

The tiny hole, i´ve seen it. Don´t know what it is for. Can only check if removing the valve cover which will be done in a few months to stop a leak.

The thing that surprised me the most was that my intake manifold pipe was clean without the smallest pint of oil. Weird. Blow-by gases are sucked in the compressor side of turbo and sent to intercooler and then to intake. However... nothing.
Even inside the intake manifold, I can only feel and dirt my fingers with a little soot. No oil whatsoever.

Is this normal ?? I remember in my Audi A4 AFN 1.9 TDI 110hp, that there was oil in this areas. Just a little, but there was. And oil comsumption was normal. Rolling Eyes

As a few of you know, I have some oil consumption. Can this be related ?

How are your intake pipes ??? Idea

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My intake pipes have a little oil in them. But the engine doesn't really use oil - maybe 300mls in 6000 miles.

Nick

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How weird...this is against everything i´ve learned !

Mine is using about 1 liter every 3000/4000km. And my intake pipe is absolutely dry. Even the intake manifold just has soot. Dry soot.

I need to check my intercooler...

RustyFIN
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I sure hope so...something else than a broken engine.

What kind of soot you have in the intake manifold? Have you "deleted" EGR?

HF1600ie wrote:
Most likely your vent system is shot. Your compression should be fine.

Inside the valve cover, you have a small compartiment (about tennis ball diameter), that has a rubber membrane inside with a spring.
You should check it.

RustyFIN wrote:

When I have time (maybe in summer), I have to check compressions and by-pass flows, clean the vent systems etc and fint the cause. Until then, I will not drive it.

HF1600ie wrote:

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have deleted EGR now with a blank plate and electronically via vag.com and a new chip program.

But it wasn´t deleted before. The soot is just dry, like the exhaust pipe. I mean, there is not that wet paste we usually see in an intake manifold. Even the boost pipe that connectes to the manifold has no oil.
This is weird, because blow-by gases of oil from CCV should go there.

In my last A4, I had a film of oil in the intake pipes, which is normal and acceptable. Rolling Eyes

HF1600ie
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guys... how is your "IC - to - intake manifold" pipe ? Do you have oil in it ?

I haven´t any, which is not normal. I should have the oil coming from crankcase blow-by.

View next topic
View previous topic