Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A6 MPG?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Ernie
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just bought a 2007 A6 Avant 2 Litre Tdi and am a bit concerned about the consumption. Looks like we're getting
mid 30s.

This replaces our S Reg 1.9 with 175,000 on the clock which consistently managed 50+. The computer can be optimistic but on a run up the A9 and around the Hebrides earlier this year it reached 60.

Have I made a bad choice of model or is something wrong?

Ernie

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ernie wrote:
Just bought a 2007 A6 Avant 2 Litre Tdi and am a bit concerned about the consumption. Looks like we're getting
mid 30s.

This replaces our S Reg 1.9 with 175,000 on the clock which consistently managed 50+. The computer can be optimistic but on a run up the A9 and around the Hebrides earlier this year it reached 60.

Have I made a bad choice of model or is something wrong?

Ernie

Ernie,

Something is not quite right, I have the 2.4 v6 petrol and am getting better consumption than you're quoting for the 2.0 diesel, I would expect you to be in the mid to upper 50's per gallon depending on your driving style lol.

Good luck!

Chunkers
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Ukwide, my 3.0TDI averages 30-32 mpg with our regular driving and more on the motorway.

Sounds like something isn't quite right there

Chunks

JIMAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Our 2007 2.0 TDi returns 45mpg all day long. Loads more on the M-Way.

Get it looked at Wink

1993 CQ 2.8 v6 (Sold)
2001 A4 TDI Avant (Sold)
80 Sport 8v (Sold) 
Spaghetti
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

My 2009 A6 with the 170 BHP CAHA 2.0 TDi engine had managed 36.10mpg over the last 50,000 miles, with every fill up logged.

It's on 255/35/19 wheels with a manual 'box. The best tankful I ever got was 44.1mpg, and that was 575 miles in one day, in 30 degrees with the AC on all the way.

I've never been impressed with the mpg, but I don't drive slowly, and the wheels do sap a lot of power.

My old A4 does 55mpg even if you wring its neck.

Pete

Cars -
2002 Audi A4 Avant - 130BHP TDi
2009 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans - 170BHP TDi 
Spaghetti
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and it has a DPF. You can see a pattern on the mpg graph as the DPF clogs up and then re generates. It does three ascending steps, and then 3 descending steps.

Also, supermarket cheapo diesel seems to give me about 33mpg on a normal tankful, and main brand good quality diesel gives me about 37mpg. The posh, premium squirt gives me 1mpg or so more again.

Cars -
2002 Audi A4 Avant - 130BHP TDi
2009 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans - 170BHP TDi 
Ernie
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sincere thanks to everyone for responding to my earlier post. I've been delayed in running a full tank test as my wife keeps topping up and screwing me test!

Results are in and we've managed 37mpg. This is ridiculous when compared to our old 1.9 getting 50+ all day long, what happened to progress?!

I'll now start to investigate, it's all beyond me but my son's a mechanic and my brother is a first class DIYer so we'll see.

Meanwhile, it's my wife's car and she's quite disappointed with it due to MPG and she hates the electronic handbrake. She wants to find an immaculate early model.

Cheers
Ernie

aiongoldbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

She wants to find an immaculate early model. Fut 14 Coins

cwhi4285

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gettng upt0 60 mpg on my 2000 2.5 tdi multitronic on a run at 65 - 70. I must add, this goes down up a hill and must be in cruise control to achieve that figure. But very impressive, revvs just over 1. Must be something wrong.

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ernie wrote:
Sincere thanks to everyone for responding to my earlier post. I've been delayed in running a full tank test as my wife keeps topping up and screwing me test!

Results are in and we've managed 37mpg. This is ridiculous when compared to our old 1.9 getting 50+ all day long, what happened to progress?!

I'll now start to investigate, it's all beyond me but my son's a mechanic and my brother is a first class DIYer so we'll see.

Meanwhile, it's my wife's car and she's quite disappointed with it due to MPG and she hates the electronic handbrake. She wants to find an immaculate early model.

Cheers
Ernie

Ernie, dear chap, are you filling up at Shell or Esso, if you're using supermarket fuel you will loose up to 15% on mpg compared to Shell etc, I found filling at Sainsburys saved me £1.80 instead of Shell but cost me £6.80 more at the end of a 220 mile run compared to Shell, it does make a big difference!

Cheers

cwhi4285

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree

I use Tesco diesel on a regular basis and notice no difference on fuel consumption. Do you genuinely notice a difference?

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cwhi4285 wrote:
I disagree

I use Tesco diesel on a regular basis and notice no difference on fuel consumption. Do you genuinely notice a difference?

Yes a massive difference my A6 won't do over 33 mpg with supermarket fuel even if I drive like a nun but with Shell or Esso it averages 38.9 mpg.

My Citroen C5 2.2 tdhi was the same and my Volvo S60 D5 was the same and for your info having worked at Fawley oil refinery, Shell, Esso and BP put fuel additives in their delivery tankers to raise the octane from 2 star to 4 star.

I suggest you try the different fuels and after just a couple of fill ups you will notice the difference. My local garage owner won't put s/market fuel in his car because he says it ruins the fuel mpg on his NEW A6 tdi.

Cheers

cwhi4285

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok

I will take your word, one month trial Wink

Appreciate the constructive FB

Matt_H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had a 57 plate 2.0tdi 140bhp manual. That did over 50 on a run happily. On a tour around Europe it did 49 average - running at euro speeds a lot of the time.

I could get that one up to 58mpg. Pretty much always on Tesco / Sainsburys fuel.

I've now got a 08 2.0tdi auto estate. 44 is about the best I've gotten from it.

I'm not sure about the 2.0 engines, but on the 1.9 I was always told to change the air filters regularly because they clog up and wreck the economy. Maybe worth a go - have a visual on it.

GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I get 39mpg average in my 55 reg 2.7 TDI - manual 6 speed

This includes quite a bit of faffing about in and around town and country roads, but I don't really push it which helps (I get my kicks on a motorbike, no need to speed in the car).

On long motorway run, I can get about 45mpg (if you stick to 70mph)

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just spent 2 weeks touring in Germany, Holland and Belgium. Unleaded is cheaper there than in the UK but only by a few pence since the price drop. Diesel is considerably cheaper over there too.

Now for the bad news, the fuel over there is not as refined as the UK fuel (hence the price differentials) and the A6 struggled to get to 33 mpg even driving like a Nun with 6 points on her licence........

Also noticed the Germans no longer drive like they need to die.....maybe because they don't have a current F1 World Champion haha...

4WDriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi
Firstly the Supermarket rubbish. UK fuel all comes from the same refinery depending on where you are not whose sign is on the pump. They add their own additives into the tankers but it's essentially the same fuel. The calorific value physically cannot be improved with additives, in fact they may dilute the fuel. Additives may help to keep an engine clean but you will not notice that for 10s of thousands of miles and certainly not tank to tank. Additives may improve the cetane rating but unlike octane it is a measure of diesel volatility not oomph. Anything above the required level will give you nothing extra except a lighter wallet! Winter anti-gelling additives will also dilute the fuel but don't tell me Asda put more of that expensive stuff in.

As for EU fuel being less refined. Where did that gem come from? And it certainly isn't why fuel is cheaper. Until recently petrol was more than in the UK except for Switzerland. Diesel is cheaper abroad because it is taxed lower over there. The Euro dropping in value has made both cheaper not a lack of refining processes.

Cold running, outside air temperature, electrical/aircon loads and of course driving style will make much much more of a difference to MPG than whether you go to Shell or Sainsbury's, Esso or Europe.

If you lost 15% efficiency I reckon you'd notice much more than numbers on your dash. Imagine losing 15% power? Rough running, mis-firing, smoking diesels, possibly even stalling would alert you to such a drop.

Fire away!!

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well said 4W Driver. The supermarket vs Main brand petrol differences is a myth. Petrol comes from crude oil and is produced in a refinery. In the UK there are 7 refineries
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_Kingdom]

Supermarkets don't have any refineries so they get their fuel from the same place as main brand sellers. Fuel is transported from the refineries to petrol terminals via rail or by pipeline, at the terminals it is stored in tank farms at places such as Buncefield. From there it is transported by road tankers to petrol stations, however the Logos on the side of the tankers may be different 'Wink'
As 4W Driver says, you can't [significantly] alter the Calorific value with additives, so really energy per unit volume should be consistant across the UK

hope this helps

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

robschoice1 wrote:
Well said 4W Driver. The supermarket vs Main brand petrol differences is a myth. Petrol comes from crude oil and is produced in a refinery. In the UK there are 7 refineries
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_Kingdom]

Supermarkets don't have any refineries so they get their fuel from the same place as main brand sellers. Fuel is transported from the refineries to petrol terminals via rail or by pipeline, at the terminals it is stored in tank farms at places such as Buncefield. From there it is transported by road tankers to petrol stations, however the Logos on the side of the tankers may be different 'Wink'
As 4W Driver says, you can't [significantly] alter the Calorific value with additives, so really energy per unit volume should be consistant across the UK

hope this helps

Well having worked at Fawley Refinery, I can assure you Shell BP Esso all put additives in their fuel before the road tankers leave the depot, but supermarkets and smaller UK retailers DO NOT and they don't put expensive additives in just for a money wasting laugh.............. just saying.......

View next topic
View previous topic