Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - powersteering - all fluid dumped

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
hefty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi all

im a complete newbie to audis have just bought a 1995 2.6 coupe gt. love the car and have had great fun driving it untill he other day just driving through traffic. the light for a failure to break system showed so i pulled over to find that the power steering fluid reservoir was empty and it had been sprayed all over the front of the engine bay by the belts im presuming. i topped it back up and drove home. to have it all dumped again but least i was now home. i have followed the pipes down and into what i am presuminig is the pump behind the top cener pully? and there dosent seem to be an obvious leak on the pipes but there is so much fluid up around the pullys and pump i have no idea where i would have come from.

any ideas of some quick fixes i can try in order to chase down the leak? i dont want to buy a new pump as it will cost a bomb.

also i read after that there is specific fluid i should use? i just used normal powersteering fluid to get it home what should be going in there any hydrolic fluid or something specific?

thanks
Ben

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

power steering pump top cap "o" ring has probably gone, it can be bought as a separate item from Audi. Do a search to find the part number and a picture of what it looks like. You might be lucky and its just a bango bolt loose?

Get that steering fluid out ASAP. as you have said its a special fluid that's used (mineral) It also operates the power brakes.

hefty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok i just checked the bango bolts and they seem tight.
there is a brass type thing on top with a x on it. can this be tightend or can it even leak

how do i tell if it is the o ring that has gone

i will put the proper fluid in it tomoro but dont want to fill it just to have it piss out again

thanks
ben

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The part with the + will more than likely be the offending item. There is a special tool to undo it but a hammer and centre punch will do the same job. You can buy the plug as well if you damage it. You need to undo it and check if the "o" ring has blown out.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

026 145 541 for the X plug which comes with a replacement o-ring.

You need to ensure the new o-ring is soaked in hydraulic fluid before fitting or it will get damaged

MertzMan
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hope your problem got fixed hefty.

Is there any special procedure for renewing the brake fluid given it's also running the PAS pump? I've flushed the system with new fluid on a MK2 Golf but not seen this set up before.

Also my PAS pump has a whine, it is possible to wobble the pulley up and down and side to side. This is a whole new pump or a new bearing job? no leaks from the system overall however.

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have recently changed the power steering pump on my CQ 20V, refilled with new fluid but not run the engine yet. !!

I used febi bilstein green fluid [Pentosin] which was just under £9/litre at motor factors

For clarification, there is actually two separate pumps on the same shaft, one for steering and the other for the brake system.

I haven't figured out how it all works yet [I need a proper hydraulic schematic diagram], but when I do I will know how to bleed the brake part. As far as I know the steering side should bleed itself of air as it is a closed loop system recirculating from the reservoir

I have noticed the large plugs with cross on but wouldn't have expected a leak from there.................... The banjo connections would have been my favourite for a possible leak or split hose ?

hope this helps

scotty33
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Normal pas fluid, can kill the seals in the rack, pump and brake servo. Flushing procedure :
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html#hydoil

Passat sport tdi 2001 X 2 
EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+1 on the X - Plug, I went about replacing all the seals (bar the x plugs) and it continued to dribble fluid. A couple weeks ago I fashioned a tool to remove the x plugs (one was loose and the other very tight) and finally the pump is dry.

View next topic
View previous topic