Insurance quotes through Adrian Flux
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Engine write-off after oil change

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Olympus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have had my Audi 80, 1.8L Petrol Saloon for 12 years. She is a 1990 B3 model.

I have to admit that I have never changed the oil and oil filter, but my mileage has always been less than 1000 miles per year and she has always run very well. I have fitted new spark plugs, coil, HT leads, air filter etc, but I never changed the engine oil.

This week, I finally took her for an oil flush, oil change and new oil filter.

I left it with the mechanic and popped back an hour later. Bad news! He told me the new oil had not circulated correctly and the engine was a write-off! He admitted that oil I had bought was the correct type, 15W/40, but said something about it being a lot thicker than the old oil that he had drained. Well it would be wouldn't it?

Advice please guys! Is it possible that flushing the engine first, dislodged gunk that then blocked the oil channels? Some other reason? Or did the mechanic perhaps make a mistake? Sad

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

somebody is talking porkies.

I can almost guarantee they've driven it round the block or left it running too long with the flushing oil and they're now covering their arse.

I've never used a flush on any of my cars and don't recommend it - especially cars on older engines and higher miles.

I'm guessing it sounds like a bag of spanners now ?

Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Mike, it sound a bit suspect to me
I've used engine flushing oils before and never had any issues. Any sludge or particles would drain down and get trapped in the filter and/or strainer, they shouldn't be able to recirculate and clog up the oil galleries.
Do you do lots of short journeys? If so the oil will have been thinned by petrol washing into it, in which case I would think there would be less chance of build up in the galleries
Unless the new oil was like treacle, I can't see what (major) difference it would make
Was the filter the correct type?

AOC#1295
1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
1999 AGZ Bora (For the Doris)
1997 ACK A6 Avant Q (Under the knife)
1984 JS Coupe GT (restoring)
1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage) 
Olympus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I'm sure the filter was correct, as was the oil. And yes, I do a lot of short journeys.

Could it be that the old filter, being a decade old, was so clogged, that the sludge was able to recirculate and block the oil lifter in the oil pump. (I'm speculating here as my knowledge of these things is minimal, but I have been doing some research to learn more.)

MikeO
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

TBH, if you've been running a car for 12 years without changing the oil and filter, I've little sympathy...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't looking for your sympathy MikeO. But thanks anyway!

jamiecoysh
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

soppose this has cost you big time which ever way you look at it --

for the sake of a once a year oil service for about 30 per time

the cost of a top end / full engine rebuild will be stupid money

the chance of finding a decent lowish millage 4 cylinder engine will be very difficult + costs for fitting

buying a half decent new car will cost the same as the above

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Olympus wrote:

Advice please guys! Sad

I agree with Mike, someones telling porkies

Advice: Don't use that mechanic again !

Not sure what other advice you need. You say that the engine is a write off, if that is the case its another engine you need................ as opposed to trying to understand what "The mechanic" actually did in the hour the car was in his care.

Its a sad tale and I can understand you will be very disappointed with the outcome, but although you haven't replaced the oil for such a long time, this is not the reason why the engine gave up................. IMHO

hope you find an economical solution

Olympus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys!

I know damn well I was negligent in not getting regular oil changes. I just want to be clear about what exactly could have happened.

I'm just not convinced that the lack of previous oil changes is the reason? That old stuff would have drained out in the flush. Why would the new oil not circulate following that?

Olympus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

recurveandy wrote:
I'm with Mike, it sound a bit suspect to me
I've used engine flushing oils before and never had any issues. Any sludge or particles would drain down and get trapped in the filter and/or strainer, they shouldn't be able to recirculate and clog up the oil galleries.
Do you do lots of short journeys? If so the oil will have been thinned by petrol washing into it, in which case I would think there would be less chance of build up in the galleries
Unless the new oil was like treacle, I can't see what (major) difference it would make
Was the filter the correct type?

Sarfraz
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
somebody is talking porkies.

I can almost guarantee they've driven it round the block or left it running too long with the flushing oil and they're now covering their arse.

I've never used a flush on any of my cars and don't recommend it - especially cars on older engines and higher miles.

I'm guessing it sounds like a bag of spanners now ?

Second that, not a fan of the flush. On another note, I just dont see why anyone would not change their oil.

I think with a car which hasn't had its oil change for a long time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to actually take the sump cover off (you'll have change the gasket). That way you can actually see the bottom insides of the engine too see how bad it is. Check for any sludge & baked on oil.

Abdul 
hoolio
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just my pennies worth,regardless of how often your oil was changed if your engined functioned correctly beforehand then for sure it should afterwards.

Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

hoolio wrote:
just my pennies worth,regardless of how often your oil was changed if your engined functioned correctly beforehand then for sure it should afterwards.

Exactly my thoughts.

View next topic
View previous topic