Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 2.7t jerky clutch

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
turlough

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I am new to the posts and would like to hear your thoughts.

I have recently bought a 2001 A6 2.7t sport Quattro, manual, 40K mileage.

The clutch seems jerky when changing up or down and the 6 speed gearbox seems notchy. But if i change gear over say 2500 revs it seems to be smooth.

Is this normal on these cars.

Terry

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

99 2.7 avant

mine is pretty jerky too, 100k, i think original clutch. i had an 87 100 with the smoothest clutch so this one has taken a bit of getting used too...

if you change quickly it seems to be a bit smoother. ie is it a "racing clutch" whatever that might be....

mine also gives a clunk when i depress the clutch, does yours?

avantissimo
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have not had this problem for a very long time: prefere auto nowadays.

the clutch surface must have uneven wear (or perhaps some drops of oil on part of it.)

with higher revs this is compensated somewhat but a new cluch will be needed I think

turlough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The strangest thing has happened.

I was also having a problem with wheel vibration between 65 & 80 mph. I have had a front tyre replaced, wheels balanced, tyres swapped around, wheels balanced and repeated at a 2nd tyre shop, 4 trips in total. So as a last resort I decided to swap rear wheels with front and these then balanced.

I now have no vibration and the jerkiness of clutch has all but disappeared.

The only jerkiness I feel now is sometimes when I change down, it kinda snaps. But apart from this it is 99% better.

In answer to eddiecrawford's question, no it never had a clunking sound.

Many thanks for your replies.

Terry

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well bizarre. oh well if it cured it....

when the clutch on these cars is changed, you are supposed to machine the flywheel/replace it, i wonder about that (not for yours - its fixed!), but as far as i can see gearbox has never been off mine...

i renewed the 2 bypass valves, and that took a fair bit of jerkyness away, especially when take foot off accelerator ie when changing gear. the old ones were only 2 years old, and seemed fine when i ripped them apart, but helped a bit. vagparts.com (i logged manifold pressure on vagcom, and it was spiking, but not got round to re logging it)

although the audi manual that comes with the car suggests its ok to change one tyre at a time, might be worth changing at least both on the same axle, so diameters are same/doesn't trash diffs etc. some folk even replace 4 at a time, but i cant afford that. cant think how you would get this coming through the gearbox to the clutch though???

turlough

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why did you change the bypass valves and where are they located. What will it cost to replace them. Is it an easy enough job?

Having driven the car now for a few more days, the jerkiness is definitely when depressing the clutch and has disappeared from the release.

I had an A4 2.8 Quattro before this and it just seemed so smooth through gearbox. I guess its just taking me longer to get used to this and all its quirks.

Terry

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

main reason i changed them was because they are cheap(ish) £50 or so for 2, and cos its easy to do. www.vagparts.com give them a phone. i never got round to testing them with a guage etc. they are right at front of engine under cover. 2 circlips and break the other clip off. i used cable ties to re clamp the small dia hose. other reason to change them, if they are not working well, puts more stress on turbos and i really dont want to have to haul the engine out to replace them...

you can log inlet manifold pressure via vagcom, and it was showing spikes of pressure when you lift off (full) throttle which is what the bpv's are supposed to avoid. but of course i haven't got round to relogging it with new valves. the date on the old valves was only 2002, but i'm fairly certain it has made a difference....

where in uk are you? did you buy yours from bolton audi? (long shot)

turlough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am in Coventry.

Bought the car privately from owner in London.

So do you think the the bypass valves have an effect on the smoothness?

A6 2.7T Sport Quattro 
eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

a bit.

not sure how much i am just getting used to it also, seems harder to match engine/gearbox revs than other cars

my first gear just went notchy suddenly, so will look at alignment/gearbox mounts sometime in the next year Confused

View next topic
View previous topic