Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Anyone know how to spot a Final Edition?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
volkswizard
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Having looked for my cabrio right through the winter, I saw many cars and read countless road tests but didn't manage to work out what uniquely makes a Final Edition.

I know on the 2.6 it's nappa leather and power hood but surely these were options on the standard cars anyway?

I know there was some extra colour coding of the leather on the steering wheel and and gearknob (ever seen the yellow 2.8 in a 2000 Audi Driver road test?!) but this was an optional extra on top of the basic Final Edition spec so not all have it - thankfully!

Cheers

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Smile

you can spot a final edition cab by the indicators and foglights, they have rounded ends, same as RS2.

all others are sqaure corners, should be able to tell by the alloys too, they should be 16 or 17"
like these http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7381

pic of the indicators and fogs lights on this RS2 http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album160&id=Dscf0180&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

JasonS
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They also have the ellipsoid (projector) headlights the same as the RS2 and late S2s

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JasonS wrote:
They also have the ellipsoid (projector) headlights the same as the RS2 and late S2s

yes but the elipsiod headlights are also on earlier cabs not just the final edition!

volkswizard
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ess-two, I was hoping it was that easy but I have a Nov 1998 issue of Top Gear mag with a Silver 2.8 R901 DBW and this isn't a Final Edition and it has the rounded end indicators/fogs a la RS2.

The alloys aren't the answer either, these were just part of the 1997 facelift.

This is a press release from 11.12.1999 announcing the final edition launch - there doesn't seem anything that couldn't be an option but at least the date of the press release means it has to be a 2000> registration.

http://www.audi.co.uk/company/pressrelease.jsp?id=556&backPage=pressarchive

cheers

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

maybe wrong about the alloys then but it is only final editions that have the round ends on the fogs and indies.

owner must have added the bumper/fogs and indies.

the alloys were an option on 'non' final edition cabs, there is a yellow final edition near me adorning the 17" alloys, its normally very dirty (not standard practise for cab owners Laughing )

as you say Y reg too, need to go back to school to learn the alphabet Laughing

volkswizard
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 1998 car in Top Gear is an Audi Press Office car which has to be exactly as per what a customer would get if they went to a dealership.
I don't want to wind anyone up but I promise you these were used on all cars from 1998 model year onwards.

I think for 1997 the Ellipsoid headlamps came in and for just this year they were used with normal fogs and indicators.

When the Ellipsoids came in, the wheels styles were standardised and the 1.8 had 15 inch 6 spokes, the 2.6 had 8 or is it 10 spokes (never counted mine!) and the 2.8 has the polished rim 10 spokes - all these wheel styles are the same regardless of whether it is Final Edition or not - I have a 1997 VW Audi Car that states this in the news pages.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to wind anyone up!
I have a stack of old mags that tell me the spec of the standard cars and the final editions but there doesn't seem anything to stop a normal car being specced to final edition levels which means spotting them is difficult.

..just checked my old Top Gear mags - Dec 1999 didn't list a Final Edition in the New Car Listings but Jan 2000 only listed a Final Edition - no standard cars. There is also a small mention in the Dec 99 issue with a Yellow 2.6 but talking just about the 2.8 Final Edition.

So a Final Edition has to be a Dec 1999 onwards reg but there must be some old standard cars later than that so as long as spec equates to that mention in the official press release then I guess it makes no difference.

Cheers

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im sure the elipsoids were on earlier than 97?

im sticking to the indies and fogs tho Smile

dont worry your not winding me up Smile

i just thought you wanted to know how to spot a final edition, you already know tho?

volkswizard
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Want me to send you an digi pic of Top Gear mag? It aint no final edition, it's late summer 1998, over a year before the FE came out! Also it doesn't have a/c which was standard on the 2.8 FE.

BTW model years tend to start in September of the previous year.

As I said I still don't know the difference due to the fact a standard car can be specced up to Final Edition spec.

I wondered if there was something like a chassis number difference or something other than just previous options fitted as standard.
cheers

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i guess they maybe a different chassis number if they were made at a different factory but otherwise i dont think so?

this car on the top gear mag, are you saying it has the rounded fogs/indies?
or just about the alloys?

any knowledgable cab owners want to add to this??

someone must know the answer, i was positive about the indies and fogs?

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldnt go on if it has got elipsoids headlights on it, as my 95 cabrio has got them on. I brought them off of the VAG website, so it just go to show that any of the pervious owners can buy them.

Also, the RS2 inicators came in on some of the earlier 1998 models, which I know for a fact are not the final editions.

As far as I'm aware, the final edition was only all the cab's made from 2000 onwards. They came with loads of optional extras as standard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

any idea where I can get clear side repeater indicators that fit straight on to my cabrio?

Do the RS2 ones fit on without any complications?

Please help, I hate amber!

Vil.

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Vil,

The RS2 indicators will only fit if you have got the new style of bumper with the rounded end. If you have you can buy the clear indicators from www.vagparts.com they are under the online shop, product search, audi, S2 + RS2 ans then RS2 parts, they are £16 each.

If you have got the older style indicators you can also buy them off of the same site, they are under the S2 section then click on electrical and you will find the kit which is £43.

UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

this is where i got my side repeaters, i also got the led bulbs so you dont get the fried egg effect http://www.volksbits.com/shop/show.php?q=repeaters

any for mk1/2 golf as they are the same Smile

Vil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cool thanks!

Which ones look like RS2 ones?

or which should I pick so that they are a straight on fit?

Marvin
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mine was labeled as afinal edition but I'm not sure either. Check with a dealer. I know mine is a 2000 model, registered in June 1999 but.....

I also know mine was a demonstrator for a dealership, so it does have some extra bits

There is no outside temp readout, thought this was present on a 2.8 with everything....maybe not.

It does have 17's though and sports suspension (lowered)

Best check it out with a dealer to be sure.

Cheers

Marvin

View next topic
View previous topic