Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Re-mapping
 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
wapbat
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Newcastle uponTyne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hallo, I was wondering if any of you are based in Newcastle upon Tyne. I am after re-mapping my 2005 A4 2.0 TDi. Although the bog standard 140 is mint, I was wondering about getting the re-map done. I do have some queries tho. They are:

Fuel economy - does it actually improve?
Would ther be a noticable power increase?
Can this have any long term negative effect?
Whats the ball park average figure on price for having this done?
Would you know of any decent re-mappers in Newcastle upon Tyne?

I know my questions seem a little obvious, however, my pride and joy A4 is the first real performance car I have had in 13 years (my previous serious performance motor was a Corrado 16v - lush motor). I am also aware re the fuel economy, if I constantly floor it then this matches against declining fuel economy.

Any help on this matter would be massively appreciated andf apologies in advance if this topic has already been covered.

Cheers Smile
 
View user's profile Send private message
pete-p
Camped on the site



Joined: May 12, 2007
Posts: 338
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As below as far as I know

Fuel economy - does it actually improve? Usually, but depends if you drive faster because of the map!
Would ther be a noticable power increase? Yes, I would expect maybe ~30bhp?
Can this have any long term negative effect? Sometimes, extra wear on the clutch and turbo can reduce their life.
Whats the ball park average figure on price for having this done? Somewhere around £300-£400?
Would you know of any decent re-mappers in Newcastle upon Tyne? Is Unit20 up your way? www.unit20.org or Viper Tuning www.vipertuning.com

Hope that helps a little.

_________________
Pete.

1999 S4 saloon in Merlin Purple
1993 Coupe 16v in Alpine White. Visit my gallery - Sold 
View user's profile Send private message
ukwide
Bandwidth Buster



Joined: Jun 14, 2008
Posts: 741
Location: Salisbury

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget the extra premium on your car insurance....................£00000's

_________________
Gary
Salisbury

A6 2.4 SE in white
1993 2.3 Cabriolet in white 
View user's profile Send private message
wapbat
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Newcastle uponTyne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, thanks guys, thats some really useful info there. As for the insurance.... errrmmmmm.... yeah.... didn't think about that. Will they "have" to know....? Laughing

As for the sites posted, unit20 is in Greater Manchester, about 150 mile from me and viper tuning - the website won't display. I did an old fashioned google search for places in Newcastle upon Tyne that could do it, thinking it wouldn't return much and it did. Now these people have quoted me the following:

They have stated I would be able to get 40 extra brake; 55 lb/ft torques; extra 2 mpg on the streets; 2.5 mpg on motorway; 2mpg on combined. Top end wasn't discussed as I ain't really a$sed about that and all this for £230. Is this a "to-good-to-be-true" figure? I got my quote from http://www.supertuning.co.uk/.

Once again, thanks for the info and soz for late reply, virgin media had went t!ts up yesterday. Evil or Very Mad Wink
 
View user's profile Send private message
ukwide
Bandwidth Buster



Joined: Jun 14, 2008
Posts: 741
Location: Salisbury

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

wapbat wrote:
Hi there, thanks guys, thats some really useful info there. As for the insurance.... errrmmmmm.... yeah.... didn't think about that. Will they "have" to know....? Laughing

As for the sites posted, unit20 is in Greater Manchester, about 150 mile from me and viper tuning - the website won't display. I did an old fashioned google search for places in Newcastle upon Tyne that could do it, thinking it wouldn't return much and it did. Now these people have quoted me the following:

They have stated I would be able to get 40 extra brake; 55 lb/ft torques; extra 2 mpg on the streets; 2.5 mpg on motorway; 2mpg on combined. Top end wasn't discussed as I ain't really a$sed about that and all this for £230. Is this a "to-good-to-be-true" figure? I got my quote from http://www.supertuning.co.uk/.

Once again, thanks for the info and soz for late reply, virgin media had went t!ts up yesterday. Evil or Very Mad Wink

You should tell them about any mods you do, replacing steel wheels with alloys will invalidate your insurance if you fail to tell them, 'add on' body kits can and will increase your insurance or invalidate it if you fail to tell them.

Upping your power without letting them know will certianly invalidate your insurance if you have an accident for instance.

I would tell them, but to be honest, why would you want to F*ck about with a perfectly good engine, the extra bhp will put a strain on most of the engine components and the fuel usage will take years to pay for the upgrade.

To be honest under normal driving conditions you won't notice the difference that much. Also, the older the car and the more mileage it has on it, the less effect the upgrade will have, in some cases it might only just take it back to a touch over the 140 bhp you started with.

I did it once, waste of time, took it off and flogged it to a kid and got my money back......

_________________
Gary
Salisbury

A6 2.4 SE in white
1993 2.3 Cabriolet in white 
View user's profile Send private message
wapbat
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Newcastle uponTyne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi ukwide, Thanks for that. I have done a bit of thinking overnight and my missus has sort of read the riot act to me, pretty much to what you have said.

It is a decent engine and it still pulls effortlessly on the dual carriageways when over taking. Gonna leave it for now as the missus sort rules the purse-strings... Laughing and has warned me about spending unesscessary (?) money.

Taking me A4 to Alton Towers today so I am going to have my first decent run in it.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Wink
 
View user's profile Send private message
ukwide
Bandwidth Buster



Joined: Jun 14, 2008
Posts: 741
Location: Salisbury

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

wapbat wrote:
Hi ukwide, Thanks for that. I have done a bit of thinking overnight and my missus has sort of read the riot act to me, pretty much to what you have said.

It is a decent engine and it still pulls effortlessly on the dual carriageways when over taking. Gonna leave it for now as the missus sort rules the purse-strings... Laughing and has warned me about spending unesscessary (?) money.

Taking me A4 to Alton Towers today so I am going to have my first decent run in it.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Wink

I think you've made the correct decision, the 140 bhp engine is a stonker without mods, it pulls well and has a fair turn of speed.

I also well understand your statement about the missus holding the purse strings, but I wear the trousers in our house, but only cos she lays them out for me to wear....lol

Enjoy the car............

_________________
Gary
Salisbury

A6 2.4 SE in white
1993 2.3 Cabriolet in white 
View user's profile Send private message
wapbat
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Newcastle uponTyne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

ukwide wrote:
wapbat wrote:
Hi ukwide, Thanks for that. I have done a bit of thinking overnight and my missus has sort of read the riot act to me, pretty much to what you have said.

It is a decent engine and it still pulls effortlessly on the dual carriageways when over taking. Gonna leave it for now as the missus sort rules the purse-strings... Laughing and has warned me about spending unesscessary (?) money.

Taking me A4 to Alton Towers today so I am going to have my first decent run in it.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Wink

I think you've made the correct decision, the 140 bhp engine is a stonker without mods, it pulls well and has a fair turn of speed.

I also well understand your statement about the missus holding the purse strings, but I wear the trousers in our house, but only cos she lays them out for me to wear....lol

Enjoy the car............


Know exactly where your coming from on that one Laughing
 
View user's profile Send private message
pete-p
Camped on the site



Joined: May 12, 2007
Posts: 338
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You should tell them about any mods you do, replacing steel wheels with alloys will invalidate your insurance if you fail to tell them, 'add on' body kits can and will increase your insurance or invalidate it if you fail to tell them.

Upping your power without letting them know will certianly invalidate your insurance if you have an accident for instance.

I would tell them, but to be honest, why would you want to F*ck about with a perfectly good engine, the extra bhp will put a strain on most of the engine components and the fuel usage will take years to pay for the upgrade.

To be honest under normal driving conditions you won't notice the difference that much. Also, the older the car and the more mileage it has on it, the less effect the upgrade will have, in some cases it might only just take it back to a touch over the 140 bhp you started with.

I did it once, waste of time, took it off and flogged it to a kid and got my money back......


I think you are thinking of a chip rather than a new map., as a map can't be sold on as it is loaded into the ecu like a software upgrade on a computer. They aren't a waste of time if you get a good one from a reputable and experienced tuner, the main benefit will be that the power delivery will be a lot smoother, it's not just about the extra bhp and torque. But don't forget that you would also likely need to use the premium fuel like Shell's V-Power.

_________________
Pete.

1999 S4 saloon in Merlin Purple
1993 Coupe 16v in Alpine White. Visit my gallery - Sold

Last edited by pete-p on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total 
View user's profile Send private message
AutomotiveGuru
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 12, 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Kent UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Get an insurance quote first.......for sure!!

_________________
Automotive consultant UK
Current car: Audi a4
Previous car: Mazda3
Next Car: Audi A5 
View user's profile Send private message
wapbat
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Posts: 9
Location: Newcastle uponTyne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys and thanks for all the advice on this. Sorry I ain't replied, the site has been down for a few days.

Well, I done my first major trip in my A4. Motorway/Dual carriage driving was a blast. The car was lovely, smooth and effortless with overtaking and I wasn't flooring it on the way to Alton Towers nor on the way back (exept for a lovely little bit of 2 mile straight road on the A1(M) between Darlo and Bishop Auckland where I was quite impressed with the handling at the speed I was doing Rolling Eyes ).

At one point I was getting 61mpg at 70mph - all in all I put 50 quids worth of derv in (just - and i mean JUST under 3/4 tank), and got 450 miles and that included the trip from Newcastle upon Tyne to Derby (170 miles including a stop off at Ferrybridge services for a Burger King - yum) - Derby to Alton Towers and back to Derby (52 mile round trip all country lanes) and back up to Newcastle. A further 60 miles round trips for work and some further pi$$ing about around the doors - with air con on for about 70% of the time of the whole distance covered. To me that is not bad, especially seeing as my missus does about 50 mile through the week in the 2.0 petrol VW Passat which is all urban trips - she spends about £20-25 a week in that.

So yeah, I was quite impressed. Re-mapping is still on the mind, however, Alton Towers weekend has cost me a bloody fortune, so I need to save up hard for it Laughing
 
View user's profile Send private message
Scottie
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Aug 04, 2011
Posts: 4
Location: Hastings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Normally when you re-map the ecu its virtually un-traceable

Scott
 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Forums ©