Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - oil leaking

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
audidave
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi
My audi 1.9 tdi has a oil leak just a small drops leaking leaving small puddle overnight,had a thorough clean up and inspection today but still not clear where it is leaking from, it is dripping down from the alternator bracket that bolts to engine as you can see drips from this so leaking from somewhere above this,in recent weeks the car has had new cam belt new rocker cover gasket and oil change using fully synthetic oil so im not sure if it is anything to do with this as car wasn't leaking before,so if anyone has any idea of what could be causing the leak or where it could be leaking from ?
Many Thanks
Dave

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Most common leaks are front cam seal and front crank seal.

When the new cam was fitted did they replace the seal(s)

audidave
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for reply
i dont think the garage replaced them all they done was cam belt kit and the 2 other belts,is this a easy job that i could do myself?

scotty33
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read that fully synthetic oil has extra detergent properties compared to mineral oils. It cleans away deposits in the engine, which is a good thing, but some of them may have been holding back a potential leak!

I believe the cam sprocket is not keyed, it uses a taper for transmitting drive. A crank lock tool is required and a camshaft locking tool for setting things up after the sprocket is removed for the seal change. A locking tool kit is a lot cheaper than paying for it to be done.

Passat sport tdi 2001 X 2 
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

misread your first post, think it was the cam got replaced rather than the cam belt.

When it was all apart, any leak from either of the seals would have been obvious so they should have advised you. Might be worth asking the question to the people who did the work.

audidave
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Many thanks for all the advice
i will have a word with garage as im not that great with cars hope it wont be that expensive i did unclip cam belt cover and there isn't any oil leaking there,just seems to be a little from front and also from side of the rocker cover turbo side,so i was wondering if the garage has fitted the rocker cover gasket properly.

View next topic
View previous topic