Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Traction control light and ABS light

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi everyone , new to the audi world

\just bought a lovely A4 avant 1.9 TD (red i) and have the following issue arising , your help is greatfully appreciated

got a slight problem occuring and requiring some advise.
on my A4 avant , i can set of and drive around town with no warning lights as soon as i hit the motorway and get up to about 75/80 mph my ABS and traction control lights come on , dont understand it , anyone else experianced this before or any ideas what could be the cause , ??...???? all suggestions etc appreciated.

hope some one can assit me Crying or Very sad

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A vagcom scan is the only way to know for sure, but it's possibly a problem with brake light bulbs or the brake light switch.

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im not even applying the brakes when the dash abs and traction control light come on , once on they stay on till the ignition is off, the confusing part is there are no warning light on under 70 mph but soon as car reaches it on they come

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well thats the most common cause, but it could a few things, abs sensor for example.

Applying the brakes won't cause it to come on, it's not that kind of error, all it's telling you is that there's a fault which will affect he braking/traction control system.

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cheers for the reply mate , ill be having a look on saturday at this and will remove each wheel one at a time , and check pads and sensors on each corner first , are the sensors easy to remove and clean brakes lights all work but will check bulbs are seated correct scratch

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never had to fiddle with the ABS sensors so I don't know about that sorry. The low pad light is a different one.

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

removed all calipers , discs had a full clean up , removed abs sensors and cleaned them all up , some dirt on both fronts, car all re built and will test drive tonight on way to work , got everything crossed

thinking about buying one of these to assist , whats peoples thoughts or opinions, experiance with them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Fault-Code-reader-/160492193463?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item255e1486b7

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

got an ex audi tech looking at car tommorow still suffering this problem Sad

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

had a full audi diagnostic system check on the car completed today the fault showing is n/s/r speed sensor

anyone got any prices or best place to locate one Smile

all help appreciated

Duffelcoat
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Had one for my A6 C4 which I think was about £70, they can be a pain to change over depending on how accessible the existing one is, for example the ones on my car get stuck/rusted in and are difficult to remove!

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cheers mate

can any one tell me if this looks ok or have had one from them, or should i strip down and clean the one already installed first

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200511728972&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D200511728972%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

new sensor bought today off the shelf a big thanks to GFS of wolverhampton , audi wanted £137.63 + vat and a two day turn about on the part GSF on the shelf in stock £34.66 inc vat Very Happy

strip down tommorow and replace fingers crossed

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

New rear ABS speed sensor all fitted , car taken for test drive , but bloody light still coming on just dont get it Confused

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

had car rescanned fault removed road tested and fecking lights are coming back on , what else can this be , really need someones advice on this , surely im not the only one who is or has had this happen ????????/ Sad

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Try replacing the brake light bulbs, even if they're working as I've heard this can cause this.

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tried that mate , new bulbs have been put in the car , doesnt rectify it, had the passenger rear brake in bits yesterday and cleaned it all up including the ring gear which sensor registers off, and thats still not corrected it ,
runnnig out of ideas now

Help Help Help

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JASE1 wrote:
had a full audi diagnostic system check on the car completed today the fault showing is n/s/r speed sensor

Was that a full registered VAGcom scan then? And you've replaced that senosr and are still getting the error? Have you rescanned it since changing the sensor and what happens then?

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rac ran there computer on it and keeps coming up with rear ns speed sensor , yep totaly wiped and just keeps returning ,

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Potentially a damaged wire or something maybe? I don't know what else to suggest really - sorry Confused

Ingolstance 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ill do a wire trail from the back lights tommorow Wink

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Checked all wiring from the back lights ,

the only thing i could find is where the towing connector was, but now removed, they had wire blocked into the back lights , some of the blocks had been removed leaving some broken insulated wires form the light block into the loom, but all lights did work as well prior to this
i have cut the bad out and reconncted them all back up with proper terminals and insulated them , just havent test drove yet

could that be the prob Question
tommorow morning going to work will only tell

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

still got this issue

done a vcds lite scan on the car today it comes up with the following can any one shed any lite on it for me

abs/asr/5.3 front DOO
soft code 00012
wsc 06435
Question Question Sad

cactusgreen
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JASE1 wrote:
still got this issue

done a vcds lite scan on the car today it comes up with the following can any one shed any lite on it for me

abs/asr/5.3 front DOO
soft code 00012
wsc 06435
Question Question Sad

there not faults, just info.

You have the Bosch abs unit (5.3 version of it), the soft code is what it's been told it has ie front or qtr, asr esp etc, wsc is the workshop code of whoever last made a change to the codes.

It could just be a bad control unit....VERY common for these Bosch units to fail in a number of ways....I've just sent mine in for repair as Audi helfully offered a new pump complete for £1100 Shocked I could buy a spare car to get one for that price!!

Is that all the info this lite version gives?

Just lost Sad UK \'01.5 B5 2.4SE Tip, Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli x-pressure TPMS,Hardwired Bel Euro RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! A 94 80 Cab 2.6e auto and now 2010 S4 Smile 
JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i reset the fault code which again just through up the initial fault , stting nsr speed sensor intermitant ,

its had new sensor codes reset , reluptor ring doesnt appear to be damaged etc in any wayand i cleaned it all up ,

audi do take the p when pricing things , got rac mechanic having a look again next week,

this is what it threw up on the abs scan after i reset so maybe my fault lol im new to the scan program

cactusgreen
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'd have said move the sensor see if the fault moves but if new sensor fitted you have already covered that i guess...although it might be worth putting the old one back the other side and see if you get another code???

So this lite version of vcds...does it let you log data? My full version would let you spin the wheel and "see" the signals from the sensor record.

Still only a fault at speed??

Next would say have the control unit checked out. You can get the unit off the abs pump...and in theory still use the car as it just reverts to regular brake control...but you need to keep the exposed pump parts very clean/sealed up....takes a few days to get one shipped for testing...then repair or replace by return...http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=40 or http://www.ecutesting.com/bosch_abs_pumps___modules.html

Just lost Sad UK \'01.5 B5 2.4SE Tip, Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli x-pressure TPMS,Hardwired Bel Euro RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! A 94 80 Cab 2.6e auto and now 2010 S4 Smile 
27litres
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

cactusgreen wrote:
You have the Bosch abs unit (5.3 version of it)... VERY common for these Bosch units to fail in a number of ways....I've just sent mine in for repair as Audi helfully offered a new pump complete for £1100 Shocked I could buy a spare car to get one for that price!!

At last someone finally said it!

There have been a number of blokes on the OzAudi forum to have suffered this problem of late. I think in the case of the Bosch 5.3 ABS modules, it's simply a matter of time until a failure occurs. If cleaning or replacing of the ABS sensors doesn't fix the problem, then it will be the ABS module itself (the electronic section).

Don't worry, It can be repaired.

Someone over there is bound to have the expertise, but failing that, try this guy (in US, Ebay shop): http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bosch0004/
He will repair your existing unit for about US$115 and has 100% positive feedback.
This mob are also supposed to be able to repair or supply exchange units: http://myworld.ebay.com.au/circuit_solutions/. They're a bit dearer though, but also do instrument cluster repairs should you need it.

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

right well ive had an audi tech working on the car today, and the vac computer plugged into it , we have managed to remove the fault on the n/s/rear speed sensor, great news , how ever on test drive the lights are still comming on at speed the computer is throwing up now the os/ rear speed sensor static fault, we replaced the sensor removed the code , test drove , lights on , reset the air gap removed fault test drove lights back on

got new discs pads and reluptor rings for it to eliminate all of these , will not be able to fit till thursday so fingers crossed for then,

on the test all four sensors are funtioning correctly and identical speed, done computer check on the abs pump and operates correctly on all four wheels

if the new abs rings dont correct the fault we are all baffled

27litres
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt it's the "reluptor" rings. They are simply a lattice of ferrous steel pressed onto the outside of the CV joint.There's nothing to fail.

The brake pads themselves have nothing to do with the ABS system, so they're not going to fix anything either.

It'll be the module.

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

i see where your coming from how ever the reluper rings on the b5 are located on the rear disc ,

also done loads of research on the fault but unable to locate as yet looked into the module , and found this from a rebuild site

.To troubleshoot the “ABS light on” condition do the following:

Connect the car to a VAG scanner. Select 03 for ABS Brakes controller.
If you receive codes related to wheel sensors proceed with a wheel sensor diagnostics (not covered by this article). If there a problem with the control module you will most likely get a code like the following:

Exclamation
again these experts are still saying if module you will have fault related codes if sensor error investigate that area.

my brake disks need replacing anyway so just doing this now to assist ellimination , not changing just for the sake of it

JASE1
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well its the first time ive had chance to test drive the audi since replacing
both rear abs speed sensors
both rear abs ring
both rear discs and pads
both rear pistons

reset the fault codes

cruised down the motorway at 80 mph and no lights coming on blob1

had all for tyres changed and tracking done on front
and gave it a winter service