Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - AAAAAAAGH!!! Stupid roof/windows!!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
jonboy1746

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now i've got your attention..
1997 80 Cabriolet, 1.8, manual roof.

Initial problem: Drivers side window stopped working.

So, I checked all the fuses, all ok. I noticed that drivers side window micro switch wasn't illuminated anymore.. I then folded the roof down to begin looking at other possible solutions.
I removed the relay numbered 367, it had the common dry solder joint, had it repaired, all the windows started working now, APART from the passenger rear. The roof switch now doesn't work (located in the drivers door shut) and the center console 4x window micro switch is dead, however it is illuminated.
So, I replaced the 367 relay for one from a working car, still have exactly the same problems, the roof switch doesn't work, the center 4x window switch is dead and the passenger rear window is dead.
Any ideas folks? Boot wires maybe?
Thanks in advance and I will keep this post updated with results.

umquat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I posted this on someone elses query the other day... Might be of some help.

http://autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Audi/1997/Cabriolet/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/

How different is the operation of the manual roof compared to the automatic one apart from the obvious.

In my centre console I have the switch that operates all of the electric windows, and the one that operates the roof. On the manual roof how does the rear cover release?

jonboy1746

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Update:
I have found that the micro switch on the drivers door that controls the passenger side rear window is faulty, so am going to replace it and go from there. Next job is to check the wires going into the boot lid on both sides as someone has attacked these before with some dodgy soldering. That may help with the roof situation. I also need to find out why the center console switch isn't working either. I'm wondering if the faulty 367 relay has managed to 'spike' the micro switches somehow?

jonboy1746

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@UMQUAT

Thanks for the response. On the manual version you have the center console switch that operates all four windows as I'm sure the non-manual roof has, but there is no switch next to it to make the roof open and close for obvious reasons. There is a round button switch located just inside the door shut, next to the door catch on the drivers side (RHD) of the car. I've tested that button and it's fine, I've also tried joining it's two wires together to make a more solid connection to no avail. I'm wondering if any of the micro switches for the windows are faulty, does that affect the roof switch also?

umquat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You mention the roof switch in your first post. Do you mean a switch that releases the rear cover to store the roof. If this is the case then the boot wiring might be an issue. Again if I compare it to the auto roof, you can't operate any part of the mechanism if the boot is open, or of course if the system can't detect that the boot is shut. That could be explained by dodgy wiring.

I did a quick repair on mine recently as both the reversing lights and fog light were out on mine. The fog light still doesn't work all the time due to a faulty live, but the reversing lights were a faulty earth, so I earthed those to the boot lid itself which offered a sufficiently good solution until I can repair the looms properly on the boot hinges on both sides.

jonboy1746

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, after some head scratching I managed to solve the problem. Two micro switches were at fault, the one controlling the rear passenger window on the drivers door and the one in the center console that controls all four windows. Once these were cleaned out and the contacts inside 'de-furred' with some 1200 grit paper, the windows decided to work again. I then went back through the fuse box with a multi meter and guess what, even though it looked perfectly ok to the eye, the fuse that controls the dash lights and switch for the hood release was faulty. New fuse, everything is working again. Laughing
It just goes to show - even if a switch, a relay, a fuse, even a wire looks ok, doesn't mean it is.

umquat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good to hear. Glad you're all sorted!

View next topic
View previous topic