Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Major Idling problems !!!!!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
darket69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been working with my brother on his 1987 2.2 (2226cc) coupe gt .. the other week the car started to idle really fast (4500rpm) and the idle speed screw didnt change anything so we pulled everything appart cleaned and refitted it all...no change Evil or Very Mad ...so we unpluged the Idle stabilisation valve and immediatly the revs dropped to nothing , but the only way to get the car to idle was to wind the screw all the way out .
We swapped the valve from my coupe over thinking this was the problem but it didnt change a thing, so we really need a few ideas of what to check next as the haynes manual is about as usefull as condom machine in a convant!!! ....it doesnt even mention the I.S.V ..only a digital idle stabiliser which is supposed to live under the dash behind the glove box???

Also ..when setting the Idle speed up is it really needed to disconnect the I.S.V/D.I.S ? as when it is dissconnectet the idle speed drops and when set and recconected the idle speed is too high????

Yours very confused

ED

Locomotion
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It could be that one of the vacuum pipes/hoses has come off causing a massive rush of air into the intake causing the high revs you mention Evil or Very Mad

darket69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

we checked all the hoses and replaced most of them any other ideas loco ?

Thanks
ED

Locomotion
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about the throttle cable, it should have a small bit of slack Evil or Very Mad

darket69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nah...that was the first thing i checked Sad

Locomotion
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Theres that aluminium looking thing, its to do with vacuum control and sits across the cam cover about 6 inches long cant remember if it has an electrical connection but definately has vacuum pipes going in each end of it. My old sport had the trouble you mention but not as extreme and it drove me nuts until I noticed one hose was slightly dislodged, I just slid the pipe home and down went the revs. It could be this "valve" is faulty and as you got another car to play with swap them over its worth a try. Evil or Very Mad

darket69

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah iv tried that..its the idle stabiliser and changing it made no difference Sad

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Potentially the throttle body itsellf. Try removing and cleaning with carb cleaner.

There is a VDO controller behind the glovebox - it works in conjunction with the idle stabilser valve in the engine bay. They are a matched pair so should be changed together.

What happens if you disconnect the vac advance from the distibutor ?

I take it the plate on the metering head is free to move and not obstructed in any way ?

gtsteve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I HAVE A VERY SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 1988 COUPE GT 2.2 THAT
HAS DONE 73000 MILES. THE CAR WILL NOT IDLE FROM COLD SO HAVE TO KEEP RUNNING WITH THE THROTTLE- AFTER 5 OR 6 STOP STARTS AND INCREASE IN ENGINE TEMPERATURE CAR WILL IDLE ON ITS OWN BUT RECENTLY AT ABOUT 2000 RPM INTERMITENTLY. HAVE CLEANED THE ISV AND SWAPPED FOR
A KNOWN GOOD ONE - CHECKED THE THERMO TIME SWITCH & WARM UP REGULATOR. THERE IS ALSO AN EARTH ON THE INLET MANIFOLD WHICH NEEDS TO BE GOOD FOR THE ISV TO FUNCTION PROPERLY - THIS MAY BE WORTH CHECKING ON YOUR CAR. HAVEN'T TRIED CLEANING THE THROTTLE BODY YET SO THAT'S NEXT ON THE LIST.
WOULD BE GRATEUL FOR ANY FURTHER TIPS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.

womble
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like an air leak.Try spraying all the joints on the pipes,throttle body and inlet manifold one at a time with wd40,look at the colour of the smoke comming out of the exhaust.If it turns white or the revs suddenly drop, hey presto! works for me most times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks womble,
seem to have found the problem - one of the small pipes that runs
from under the isv to the vaccum unit attached to the air filter cover has
broken off taking the plastic nipple with it causing an air leek.now need to find a way of resealing it until i can find a replacement. anyone out there
got a spare vacuum unit ( not sure if this is correct name) it push fits into air box cover has one small pipe attachment on top of body and another
connection on its end that looks electrical but runs to the distributor - vacuum advance? ( KV 2.2 engine)

TagBartok
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad you've found the cause. The vacuum connection on the thing in the airbox was also snapped off on my 90 Quattro. I fixed it successfully with a short length of white plastic vacuum tube purchased from the main dealer which I bent to shape and fixed in place using Araldite adhesive.
I'm hate replacing things if I can fix them. This fix has lasted over 30,000 miles!
Tag

View next topic
View previous topic