Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Bass box queery

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
yellowbelly
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to take the 12" speaker out of my bass box and fit it to my shelf in exchange for the 6x9's i have already fitted? The 6x9 need replacing so as i'm just looking for bass at the back is this feasable to connect up to an amp?

I am not sure if i need anything else to fit between speaker and amp,all i have at present is speaker wire from speaker to amp,the head unit is a nakamichi if this helps!

Any guidance would be appreciated

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Right first off, WHAT CAR HAVE YOU GOT! if youve got rca leads on the back of your headunit then all you need to do is plug them in to your amp and away you go. If your sub is a free air one then yes you can use it in the shelf and it uses the boot as an enclosure. If not youll need to use a box. Sound wise youll always get far better sound quality out of the box. Make sure that when you wire up your amp take time when running the power lead to run it on the opposit side from your rca leads to prevent interference. Also make sure you use as short an earth lead as possible and that its got a good contact.
Gav

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Remember to fuse the power lead!
Gav

yellowbelly
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gav,

Thanks for the reply! The car is a 93 coupe and the speaker is a phoenix gold sapphire,sorry i'm not too sure what you mean by free air?

The speaker is one sealed membrane with a smaller domed membrane in the middle of it. When i connected the box in the past, all i got was a very faint treble sound and no bass whatsover which made me wonder if my connections were missing an additional component.

I had rca from the head to the amp,power cable from amp to battery, earth from amp,bass box to amp. I remember on some old amps i had fitted they were also connected to the ignition live and permanent live on the back of the stereo.

Darren

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darran,
Basically free air means its designed to go in the rear shelf such as yours, they look the same as any other sub, so your best bet would be give any good hi-fi shop a ring with the part no. and ask. Are you using the original shelf? If so youll probably need to strenghten it but you still have a lot of resonance. I looked around last year to try and get an MDF rear shelf for my coupe but no-one did one.If your only getting treble through it sounds like youve got a fault with the crossover, or youve not got the filter sttings correct. The power feed (usually the blue wire on the stereo loom) is used as a swtchable feed so that when you switch thestereo on the amp turns on to and vice versa. Personaaly i normally use a seperate switch so i can use the stereo without the amp.
Gav

yellowbelly
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gav,

I don't believe it has a crossover on it so i assume it must have been the wiring,mind you having a seperate switch for the amp seems a sensible idea,i'll try and look into that.

The shelf is the original,likewise i found it difficult to find one without paying silly money.Decided to build one myself with mdf and some fibre glass and finished with sound cloth adapting the old shelf,the cloth was the only expense but on the whole it worked well.

Thanks for your advice

Darren

gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, sounds really good, any chance o some pics of youre rear shelf?
good luck anyway. What i normally do before i start is draw my self a diagram on paper of the the system im building and take it from there.
Gav

yellowbelly
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just in the middle of making some door builds,will send photos of shelf when completed!

All the best

Darren

View next topic
View previous topic