Insurance quotes through Adrian Flux
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A4 WHITE SMOKE
 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
paul54
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Sep 26, 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi has anyone had white smoke from exhaust. I have a 3 litre Tdi Quatro and since fitting new timing chains, valve lifters and fuel injectors I have a problem with white smoke from the exhaust after idling.Any solutions please. Paul
 
View user's profile Send private message
audioc
Site OWNER



Joined: Jan 17, 2003
Posts: 12502
Location: E Bay?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

doesn't white smoke indicate water/ steam in the exhaust?

_________________
Don\'t forget: Twitter- www.twitter.com/audifansdotnet
Facebook - www.facebook.com/audifans.net
Free \"Audi\" Newsletter: http://www.audifans.net/downloads-cat6.html 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
covlad
Audi Nut



Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

does the white smoke go after the engine warmed up

does the exhaust smoke smell like fresh, rather than burnt oil.

oil this is normally a whitish blue to blue smoke and has the apparent smell of oil being burned. Next could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly.
 
View user's profile Send private message
paul54
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Sep 26, 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi covlad, no smell but disappears quickly, no smoke just idling only smoke pulling away
covlad wrote:
does the white smoke go after the engine warmed up

does the exhaust smoke smell like fresh, rather than burnt oil.

oil this is normally a whitish blue to blue smoke and has the apparent smell of oil being burned. Next could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly.
 
View user's profile Send private message
covlad
Audi Nut



Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

paul54 wrote:
Hi covlad, no smell but disappears quickly, no smoke just idling only smoke pulling away
covlad wrote:
does the white smoke go after the engine warmed up

does the exhaust smoke smell like fresh, rather than burnt oil.

oil this is normally a whitish blue to blue smoke and has the apparent smell of oil being burned. Next could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly.


could be down to water in the exhaust system middle box or back box when the engine started get some one to rev it to 3000 rpm have a look at the back box and see if its spitting water my mk2 mondeo had a ltr of water in the back box when i changed it lol check the oil and coolent to see if its losing
 
View user's profile Send private message
paul54
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: Sep 26, 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys, thanks for all youre replies, the car now runs very uneven on tick over, the guy who is doing the repairs reckons that it could be a problem with the new injectors but i am not convinced.Having spoken to an independent mechanic he thinks that its a problem with the timing,what do you think.Paul
 
View user's profile Send private message
covlad
Audi Nut



Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

paul54 wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for all youre replies, the car now runs very uneven on tick over, the guy who is doing the repairs reckons that it could be a problem with the new injectors but i am not convinced.Having spoken to an independent mechanic he thinks that its a problem with the timing,what do you think.Paul


uneven on tick over this could be down to a number of things from injectors to a breather pipe
Low fuel pressure Glow plugs or Glow Plug relay faulty Insufficient fuel supply Cam crank sensor

try getting it on Diagnostic any good mechanic will have them not sure of the cost but it will show if there is a problem with timeing or injectors

im only going on past ex on ford mondeo had 5 of them in 3 years but im new to audi lol

not sure if im allowed to post links but worth having a look at this one explains what a problem could be http://www.dieseljones.co.uk/troubleshoot-a-diesel-engine.html#.UGg61q6z4ho
 
View user's profile Send private message
jimmydetectors09
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: May 16, 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Among all the detecting activities, gold metal detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both your body and mind , but also give you a big fortune if you are lucky enough.Next time if you feel bored, you can pick up a gold metal detector and have a try.
 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Forums ©