Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Back Door Speakers Audi 80 avant 93

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Tru-pac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After looking in the I.C.E forum i found that the questions that applied to me hadn't been answered.. so i came here.
I pulled my door card off today, as the rear speakers weren't working, expecting to find none there. Instead all was complete, unfortunatly theres a *censored* loada wires for just 2 speakers.
From the car come 2 wires into a connection block, outta that come 5 wires, they all lead to the main speaker. 5 go into the speaker, (which has 3 connectors in a stack) into the top stack wich has 2 pins side by side, the middle has nothing connected to it, but 2 pins and the bottom has 2 pins, with a connector with 2 wires that lead up to the tweeter... WOW

After the simple job of wiring 6 x 9s into the parcel shelf of my chav punto this looks super complicated for no apparrent reason?
Everything looks intact, but nothing works... am i missing something?

If you read all that and understand it, firstly well done, and secondly please help
Truan

Jamin
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a problem on both B4s I've owned in which the braided wire on the main speaker that goes from the connection block to the speaker cone has broken where it's glued on to the speaker chassis, it may look complete but if you bridge them with wire the speaker may start working. The wires to the tweeter have an inline capacitor that fails, bypass it with a wire to see if the tweeter works, if it does then replace the capacitor.

Otherwise, the speakers could be dead anyway or some other fault with the wiring.

jamiecoysh
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i had the same problem turned out that there is a small black connector behind the head unit that runs the rear speakers that comes of the main speaker harness. I never even seen it at 1st. turns out when i pulled out the old head unit to put in my dvd player i seperated the connector and when i put it all back together the rear speakers didnt work

Tru-pac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, i suspected that, but then i have nothing in my head unit to connect it to? How would i go about testing to see if that the case? Did you sort yours out?

Jackpowell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tru-pac wrote:
After looking in the I.C.E forum i found that the questions that applied to me hadn't been answered.. so i came here.
I pulled my door card off today, as the rear speakers weren't working, expecting to find none there. Instead all was complete, unfortunatly theres a *censored* loada wires for just 2
buy speakers.
From the car come 2 wires into a connection block, outta that come 5 wires, they all lead to the main speaker. 5 go into the speaker, (which has 3 connectors in a stack) into the top stack wich has 2 pins side by side, the middle has nothing connected to it, but 2 pins and the bottom has 2 pins, with a connector with 2 wires that lead up to the tweeter... WOW

After the simple job of wiring 6 x 9s into the parcel shelf of my chav punto this looks super complicated for no apparrent reason?
Everything looks intact, but nothing works... am i missing something?

If you read all that and understand it, firstly well done, and secondly please help
Truan

Hello guys facing buzzing sound problem in my speakers. I have checked not wire is lose or grounded, so what could be the problem?

Last edited by Jackpowell on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total 
jamiecoysh
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

for some stupid reason the car speaker harness has two black connectors that have to be clipped together (they are quite tight and often come appart) when removing the headunit. their nothing to do with the actual headunit itself. I reckon this is where your problem lies as both rear speakers dont work. If it was one then you could put it down to a damaged speaker etc

buzzing is interferance and is usually present when you dont wire the headunit to the +ve live correctly as audi iso conectors arnt fully compatible with aftermarket headunits like ford, peugeot etc. Or if you are using amps etc. check all your wiring again, and if using an amp make sure that the rca/speaker wire isnt running down the same side as the power lead.

Tru-pac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Right, so i may of had to pull a bodjitt and leggit. After pulling the head uni out and finding that the black connector had no pal, and not being able to fit my arm through the hole far enough for a proper rummage, i took the tray out from under the steering wheel for better access. After a lil searchin and pokin i found not quite what i was looking for, someone had previously butcherd the female connector... gahhh! Evil or Very Mad
After connecting them with bullets, the speakers still didn't work, but one tweeter did. Right so it must be the speaker. After some testing yup sure enough twas the speaker. Great. -_- So after market speakers are in, again couldn't connect them properly unless i wanted to spend some time waiting for bits. so again bypassed connections.
Unfortunatly i don't have covers for them so there looking a bit chavvy in there now. All shiny and blue :/ still i have a nice sound now Smile

oh and of course just as i finished up, i found the female connector from behind the head unit in the glove box! Rolling Eyes

EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+1 I did this fix and it worked great. But the speakers are pretty poor. Has anybody upgraded theses whilst maintaining the stock look. The fronts are a straight swap but the rear would need some mods. Anybody tried this?

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

EightyWay wrote:
+1 I did this fix and it worked great. But the speakers are pretty poor. Has anybody upgraded theses whilst maintaining the stock look. The fronts are a straight swap but the rear would need some mods. Anybody tried this?

I don't know how big the stock speakers are in the B4's as mine had aftermarket ones in there that were stuffed and someone had cut bigger holes in the door panels. But it'd be pretty simple without too much modification if you matched the size correctly or close to.

I remember on my B3 the rear shelf speakers were a mess to change over (they had 3x rows of plugs) but you could trace the metal to see what goes where and figure out what part goes where from the two input wires from the car if that makes sense? Kind of reverse engineering it haha. Smile

EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, I just realised that the 80 b4 saloon has shelf speakers and the Avant has rear door speakers. It is more of an avant issue/mod.

Audicted
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the replacements I have in my B4 Avant doors are 5.25 inches (USA) or 13cm Euro speakers. You may also want to run the wires directly from the Head Unit to the speakers because most Audi stock systems use amplified rear speakers which make them pretty useless with aftermarket head units.

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Audicted wrote:
I believe the replacements I have in my B4 Avant doors are 5.25 inches (USA) or 13cm Euro speakers. You may also want to run the wires directly from the Head Unit to the speakers because most Audi stock systems use amplified rear speakers which make them pretty useless with aftermarket head units.

I had no issue with my B3 running the stock wiring to some 6x9 Pioneers in the rear.

My B4 appears to be running stock wiring too and again the speakers are fine to be directly wired.

EightyWay wrote:
Ah, I just realised that the 80 b4 saloon has shelf speakers and the Avant has rear door speakers. It is more of an avant issue/mod.

Nah it's not, it depends on the model year/options I think. My Australian delivered B3 had rear shelf speakers and my B4 has door speakers (both saloons).

EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to take another look at this, the key being to retaining the stock look and keeping the stock tweeter. I can't believe that Nokia made a one-off design for the Audi 80, there must be alternatives? The whole powered amp story makes me a bit cautious on this one. I may experiment with a donor card/pod before I tackle the real thing. Does any one have any pics and/or wiring diagrams of an upgrade? My idea is to maintain the original speaker housing and substitute the speaker with an upgraded one.

Raven
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

"
Quote:
I'm going to take another look at this, the key being to retaining the stock look and keeping the stock tweeter. I can't believe that Nokia made a one-off design for the Audi 80, there must be alternatives? The whole powered amp story makes me a bit cautious on this one. I may experiment with a donor card/pod before I tackle the real thing. Does any one have any pics and/or wiring diagrams of an upgrade? My idea is to maintain the original speaker housing and substitute the speaker with an upgraded one.
"

eightyway - anybody... apologies for picking up on an old thread here - but did you ever resolve this issue? I'm looking at the same problem and scratching my head.

I'd just like to get a fresh set of 13cm speakers (with or without separate tweeters) and fit them to my B4 TDi Avant, retaining the original grilles if possible. Man, it's a complicated set-up in there: a trio of connectors, spacers, a grille which seems to be glued on....

Insights would be greatly appreciated! If the original grilles etc can't / won't work, can anyone suggest a set-up which will happily function with a replacement head unit without a complete re-wire?

Raven

EightyWay
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi. I ended up fixing the originals. The solder lets go as they go through a join. The fix worked but the speakers were still crap. I feel your pain.

Raven
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Your ‘I feel your pain’ comment made me laugh - thanks for that! Thing is, my speakers are utterly shot: the foam rings have disintegrated entirely. Looks like aftermarket drivers are in order - hopefully I’ll make sense of the wiring one way or another, but it would have been good to keep the original grilles: new ones will inevitably sit proud and push into the rear seats.

View next topic
View previous topic