Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Audi 1800 DZ Engines."Different" than the VW appli

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Hobby
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard about this before and never took much notice,now I'm wondereing if it's true.Given that they're basically the same lump.
Do these engines as in my 80 Sport have a different cam than in VW GTI applications.I'd also heard that the head was a"better"head than VW ones in terms of performance altough in what way I don't know....can't really see it on a factory car.
Is the cam profile in the Audi's different from hydraulic to shim type?My later hydraulic engine seems smoother but a little less "sprightly",particularly in the mid range(altough I appreciate that this could be down to other things).
I know the 80 Sports gave slightly more BHP and torque than the Golf's etc.but had read that this was down to the longtitudinal engine layout allowing a more efficient exhaust design to be utilised.
Anyone?
Cheers,Hobby.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I bought my first Coupe GT, a 1.8i, I mentioned to the selling dealer about the Golf GTi link. I was told it's the same engine but the Audi has different torque settings. How that's done I'm not sure but probably camshafts, exhaust manifold and gearbox ratios.

Brian
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This may be of help-
I had a 86 C 1.8 sport DZ engine. and yes the camshaft is the same as the 'equivalent' Golf GTi. The cam is different for hydraulic (later) and shim (earlier) Tappets. I had my engine uprated with a Schrick 272 cam by AmD. It made a big difference at the top end. You need a K&N air filter and a sporty freeflow back box to go with it - minimum. Otherwise very little benefit. Tuning houses that offer Golf mk2 upgrades will be able to help if you want this sort of thing. The tickover does get a bit lumpy though.
The main reason for the better torque as I understood it was that the longitudinal engine layout allowed a better airflow path in. Especially if you remove the trunking at the bottom of the air box. This is a simple well known 'improvement'. The factory fitted pipework that leads from the grille is a bit of a choker.
Not all aspects of the engine are identical as you will have found out, but there are a lot of common components with Golf GTi.
Yes I miss that lively 80 sport, it was great leaving a lot of flasher cars behind.
Brian

Hobby
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers Brian(and Mikes2).
I've recently resealed the drilled airbox back up as it was just too noisy and causing unwanted attention.I'm of the opinion(did'nt actually test it)that it was also thirstier too.I did however open up a blank inlet and run some trunking to that.Does removing the orig.pipe drastically increase induction roar and does it not drag hot engine bay air in?
The cams a bit confusing,the 1800 VW applications had a couple of different profiles too Confused ,the MK1 Golf had a different cam to the Mk 2,which was apparently rehashed for increased torque,then I beleive they changed the profile yet again?
I'm in the process of working on a spare mechanical head and am looking at mild cams,Autosprint and Newmans are offering Shrick grinds at reasonable money and i'm going to look at Reece Cams too.
Hobby.

Brian
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed a bit more induction roar when the K&N air filter replaced the standard one. I did not drill holes in the air box as I was advised against it - too much roar ...
Never had any problems with the bottom pipe removed re. roar or hot air intake.
The cam info corresponds to the Golf Mk2 GTi, I think you are right re. the Mk1 being slightly different.
Brian

intergraleevo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally i've found some other type 81 audi 80 sport owners!
Anyhting BUILT before august 85 is shim Tappets, the cam on these has 5 bearings instead of the post august 85 hydraulic Tappets which has 4 bearings. Remember though thats BUILT before august 85, my friend has a sept 85 C registered car, which has shimmed Tappets. In that repsect is a shimmed one better since it has 5 bearings, holding the cam down straighter?
IVe got a B reg so its shims, ive removed the bottom piping and drilled the airbox underneath and on front, dropped in a K and N replacement filter, and yes it does roar! bit thirstier yeah but it really has made it more responsive, even though its probably a small increase you do notice. The fact that every part of my exhaust has some kind of hole dosent help but im going to get there and restore this thing as best as i can.
Shimmed-Tappets engines have different top ends, ive re-shimmed mine and it now rattles like a back of nails! (although they are in tolerance). but shim types take more of a battering than the hydraulics so im told, hydraulics are quieter and easier to maintain though. ok right anyone else want to talk 80 sport i could go on for days im willing to learn EVERYthing about this car. message me if you have one id love to hear all the stories, advice etc.

Locomotion
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had this car for over 6 years and enjoyed every minute of it and boy did it go. I believe the 5 bearing camshaft was just over engineering on VAGs part and later models didn`t really need it. I shimmed mine once in all the time I had it and it was always quiet, the secret is to measure the replacement shims with a micrometer as you cannot trust the sizes, then go for a size around 2 thou thicker..sorted. Only mod I did was a replacement k&n and that was only for easy maintainance as I did around 45000 miles in my ownership, it had around 160k when I sold it and was still going strong and did not burn any oil or use any water. I miss it .
By the way I have loads of spares in my loft that need a new home such as air flow meter all lights new ernst centre pipe new water pump, refurbished Ronals etc etc. I hanker after another and in my opinion the early ones were the best especially the body, all I had on mine was slight browning around the rear arches which I polished out when needed. I`ve seen the facelifted C reg on cars with holes in the scuttle and rusty old wings. Also the early cars had no luxaries such as leccy windows or cen locking, my car didn`t even have a glovebox or boot light and no body mouldings. To sum up these cars are very under rated and can be bought for peanuts, they are fast and economical what else can one want. The only reason I sold it was to make way for a growing family hence the 80 2.6 Avant, but my garage has a gap in it where a 74 GT used to be.................................................mmmmmm. Now you`ve got me started. I know of a 2 owner fsh 84k around £900 or offers Evil or Very Mad

View next topic
View previous topic