Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Bee Sting Ariel

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Need a new one for my Coupe ( 1995) anyone know where to get one? A bit of a w++ky question I know! Thanks in advance. Karl Rolling Eyes

monkeyboyuk
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Should be able to pick one up pretty much anywhere, ie halfords or any other autotech place, possibly even the stealers.

you'll just need to watch when fitting as the aperture in the roof doesn't match some of the aftermarket ones and it may wiggle about a bit.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Karl;

do you need the complete bit, or just the bend bit? either way, GSF should be able to sort you out Wink

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I only need the actual ariel bit, I'll pop along to halfrauds and see what they have to offer, if not it'll be GSF I should think. Thanks Karl

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sad ok. looks like someone has glued it in!! I'll try a spot of wd40 to see if it comes loose, so now looks like a new fitting completely! Are these still available? I supose it is just a dealer fitting? I did get one from Halfrauds, £9.99 which will be going back in a while!

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

usually the aerial bit screws out and is interchangeable; sometimes need a really good twist to get them out...

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rolling Eyes its got a bit worse.....the ariel will not come out of the housing, I've got at the nut holding the body in ( popped out the rear roof light) off set spanner fits nicely, but the whole thing is spinning round...obviously a two man job! Soaked it all in wd40 and will leave overnight. Called in at an Audi dealer...body is nla, ariel bit is.....they think that the A3 body will fit...I'll update as we go along...don't suppose anyone is breaking and has this bit?

Dez
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ebay is your friend here, or try Pm'ing someone on here who is selling bits.

I had a right old farce when my aerial was well worn, with the metal spiral showing. I had to take out the entire unit from inside the car an fit a slight later version because i couldnt find the right sized thread for mine. Rolling Eyes

Anyhow it's not a 2 man job just just pop the boot and go into mr flex mode Laughing

I ended up having to solder my internal bit onto a newer outside bit if that makes sence bypassing the daft ampifier which doesnt seem to do anything anyhow.

Easy when you look at it, it just sounds a bit complicated.

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Smile ok, yet another update! GSF supplied a new full ariel, good discount using member card!! under £20, dealers wanted close to £70! I have an offset spanner but I think it is slightly the wrong size! I'll be going to machine mart tomorrow! Two man job I think though...hopefully last post tomorrow!!! Karl

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

karlm55 wrote:
Smile ok, yet another update! GSF supplied a new full ariel, good discount using member card!! under £20, dealers wanted close to £70! I have an offset spanner but I think it is slightly the wrong size! I'll be going to machine mart tomorrow! Two man job I think though...hopefully last post tomorrow!!! Karl

see, told ya! Laughing

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy FINAL POST (I hope!!) bought a set of offset spanners 17mm fitted the nut bit of a tug! and loose nut, old ariel disconnected, new one fitted, all connected, roof light pushed back ( just realised I haven't tried the radio!!!!) ....so might be more to come!

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy ok...tried the radio....obviously it didn't work! I'm not really a fixer just really a messer...so just before I called out the AA...checked the rest of the electrics....yep you've guessed it my messing about blew no 4 fuse! Fuse replaced, interior lights back on and also the radio! So its all complete...just need to figure out what to do with the red wire.....answers please! Karl

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

red wire on the aerial?

It's got an amplifier built in if so; you could either:
a. leave it.
b. run a single wire from the back of your head unit to the aerial; the wire you need at the back of the head unit is typically blue (if fitted)- maybe marked up with "aerial/ aux" etc.- it's so it only turns the amplifier on when the radio is on. IF you get stuck, you're not a million miles away- you could pop round and I'll give you a hand Wink

karlm55
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Smile ok, there's a red wire on the ariel, and a red wire in the gap, both look the same, but they don't have the same connections? Do you think I should twist them together? probably be better to have a cuppa with you though! you did offer!

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

karlm55 wrote:
Smile ok, there's a red wire on the ariel, and a red wire in the gap, both look the same, but they don't have the same connections? Do you think I should twist them together? probably be better to have a cuppa with you though! you did offer!

not a problem- will be able to tell you in about 5 minutes of getting access to the 2 wires Wink I'm usually home by 5pm (this next 3 weeks anyway Laughing ) just don't call tonight 'cos it's the wedding anniversary (best spend SOME time with the wife) Laughing Laughing Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic